PDA

View Full Version : Minor Rotary Swirls

Buick_guy
08-29-2004, 07:54 PM
If you induce minor rotory swirls when you`re just starting off, are they easily removed by hand? I`ve heard that its a snap with a PC, so it shouldn`t be that much hard by hand eh?

Bill D
08-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Depends on the paint. I seriously doubt my two finishes would respond to an attempt to remove the remaining swirls by hand.

Accumulator
08-29-2004, 08:14 PM
What Bill D. said :xyxthumbs

Some rotary-inflicted damage is almost impossible to remove without, well, another go with the rotary. Neoprufrock, a member from the old days, had/has some holograms on his black Audi that he just can`t get out with a PC. And this is a guy who`s been doing this for a long, long time.

I have good luck with the Cyclo, but there`s some stuff I just can`t get with the PC. So that means I`d never get it by hand either. Some holograms are surprisingly hard to get rid of.

But don`t let this scare you off the rotary. Bad rotary-swirls/holograms are almost always the result of something dumb/careless/etc. and you can get them a lot better with more (light, gentle) rotary work. Then what`s left (if anything) will probably be doable by hand. Just watch your technique and you shouldn`t get anything too bad. And stay away from aggressive products, they`re more likely to do this sort of thing and you shouldn`t need them anyhow. Mike Phillips recently suggested testing by using DACP and a polishing pad. If that doesn`t do it, consider accepting that it`s just too badly marred to get perfect.

Anything more aggressive is *very* advanced stuff.

But FWIW, I wouldn`t work with a rotary until you`ve had some experience with a PC or a Cyclo. Not much margin for error with the rotary. And I`d get the PC/Cyclo first anyhow. Just a lot more useful, overall (just IMO, of course).

Buick_guy
08-30-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

What Bill D. said :xyxthumbs

Some rotary-inflicted damage is almost impossible to remove without, well, another go with the rotary. Neoprufrock, a member from the old days, had/has some holograms on his black Audi that he just can`t get out with a PC. And this is a guy who`s been doing this for a long, long time.

I have good luck with the Cyclo, but there`s some stuff I just can`t get with the PC. So that means I`d never get it by hand either. Some holograms are surprisingly hard to get rid of.

But don`t let this scare you off the rotary. Bad rotary-swirls/holograms are almost always the result of something dumb/careless/etc. and you can get them a lot better with more (light, gentle) rotary work. Then what`s left (if anything) will probably be doable by hand. Just watch your technique and you shouldn`t get anything too bad. And stay away from aggressive products, they`re more likely to do this sort of thing and you shouldn`t need them anyhow. Mike Phillips recently suggested testing by using DACP and a polishing pad. If that doesn`t do it, consider accepting that it`s just too badly marred to get perfect.

Anything more aggressive is *very* advanced stuff.

But FWIW, I wouldn`t work with a rotary until you`ve had some experience with a PC or a Cyclo. Not much margin for error with the rotary. And I`d get the PC/Cyclo first anyhow. Just a lot more useful, overall (just IMO, of course).

I agree with you all the way, and what I have is my plan.

I have a old dodge shadow that has ****** paint, and couldn`t look any worse to practice on, and I also have a 16 foot boat that can`t look any worse either. So I have lots of practice pieces to work on.

Just wish me luck:)

Bill D
08-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Sound like excellent rotary candidates, even rotary with wool pad candidates! :up

Accumulator
08-30-2004, 11:27 AM
Buick_Guy- Ok, now that my conscience is clear about having tried to talk you out of the rotary, I`ll give you some advice that might actually be useful :D

Stick with the foam polishing/finishing pads for the cars (dunno about the boat but it`s not directly comparable). Get some 1Z polishes, they`re designed to work at low speeds (much lower than other brands) when used with a rotary and are safe and mild.

When working with the Shadow, try to intentionally cut through the clear/paint in a few spots so you get the feel for what`s "too much".

Actually, getting started with a rotary at your age (sorry, you must get sick and tired of all the age-related comments :o ) might be pretty good down the road.

Good Luck, hope you don`t need it!