PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba wax getting rough?

beanbag
08-29-2004, 04:21 AM
I my experience, I have noticed that Carnauba wax layers tend to get rough, even after a week or so. You can feel it in the applicator when applying the next layer, or even in the towel when you wash and QD the car. UPP, on the other hand, tends to stay really smooth. Is that the experience for the rest of you as well?

Jesstzn
08-29-2004, 09:16 AM
I have never noticed that .. right now I have #16 as a topper and its been there 2 weeks and 6 wahings .. smooth as glass. Maybe your QD is breaking it down.

Accumulator
08-29-2004, 10:55 AM
I`ve noticed that some carnaubas are a lot worse about this than others. For example, Souveran seems to get "tacky" for me after a while, #16 stays smooth better/longer, and Collinite does too. I agree that the QD might be degrading it somewhat, though some/most QD`s oughta make it slick again. Generally, I`d say that what you`re noticing might be a clue as to when you oughta refresh the wax.

UPP (which I use on the S8) is an especially slick product, and for some of us it stays that way for quite a while. But even it will benefit from occasional refreshing.

lbls1
08-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Not at all, that is if the surface is prepared properly. You may be getting some particles or hard dust onto your surface. That could happen if your car is driven daily and parked in a sunny place for prolonged periods. My daily driver, going against what I said earlier, used to get that way. With the daily driver, it did not get detailed frequently, so I attribute the infrequent waxings to it collecting dust and particles. Car #1, on the other hand, doesn`t suffer those things happening to its paint.

My previous new car that I drove daily did not suffer from roughness in the paint, because that car was detailed regularly.

Edit: If you think its the wax`s fault anyway, change your brand. IMO the better waxes "should" not act in that manner. Mothers is a good behaving, over the counter wax for reference.

beanbag
08-30-2004, 01:52 AM
The waxes I noticed this on were Blitz and 3M Paste wax. I hardly think they are bad waxes that need refreshing after 2 weeks. I noticed it most when using Blitz on the hood of a Corvette. I guess if you have 1/4" of fiberglass as insulation, the surface gets real hot real fast and "ruins" the wax. I think I will stick to UPP from now on.

Accumulator
08-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by beanbag

The waxes I noticed this on were Blitz and 3M Paste wax. I hardly think they are bad waxes that need refreshing after 2 weeks... I think I will stick to UPP from now on.

Don`t use Blitz so I won`t comment on that, but the I have used the 3M quite a bit (it`s one of Accumulatorette`s favorites on her A8). The 3M does seem to lose a little slickness sorta fast sometimes, but not others, so yeah, it might be sensitive to environmental factors. Or maybe it`s just really noticeable because it`s so slick right after application. But the UPP seems to stay slick a lot longer than most products so I bet you`ll be happy with it.