PDA

View Full Version : Which Car???

JaCkaL829
08-28-2004, 01:59 PM
Ok, I`ve been considering a new car this whole summer, and while I`ve been unsuccessful selling my truck, I still might get to buy a new car. My father left the oil cap off on his 89 Corolla, and now the engine is pretty shot. So theres a good chance hes gonna take my truck and give me some money for a new car. I narrowed what I want down to either a 2000-01 Infiniti G20 or 98-00 Acura Integra sedan. I want something somewhat sporty, yet luxurious, which I feel both are. I also wanted to go with Japanese because of the reliability, way to many problems with domestic cars. The specs are pretty even with the two, both 4 cylinder, the Integra gets 1mpg more than the G20 in the city/highway. Both had minimal problems in all categories according to msn. Someone at work was telling me I can only use OEM Honda/Acura parts with all Honda/Acura cars. How true is this? I like to most maintence myself and don`t wanna spend a fortune. I`m pretty tied between the two so any thoughs, comments or experiences with either car or both are welcome. Thanks guys! :xyxthumbs

PAW
08-29-2004, 03:37 AM
I`m on my 2nd Acura. The 1st was a 91 Legend I bought used. Great car. A couple of issues at first but rock solid after that. It had 120K when I sold it. My current is a 03 TL Type S. Very nice car. 20K miles with only a couple of rattles.

The G20 is based on a Toyota something. Sorry I don`t remember. If you looking for sporty, I think the Integra fits the bill better.

There are non OEM parts available for Honda/Acura. OEM parts maybe better. I got 90K on the original brake pads on the Legend. When I replaced, I darn sure put the same Honda/Acura pads back on it. There`s a couple of discount places on the web for Honda/Acura parts. PM me if you want them.

drock
08-29-2004, 04:06 AM
ill go with the acura integra GSR sedan, if u decide to sell it down the line acuras have better resale value than infiniti

actually the G20 is similar to nissan sentra, both the same company

PAW
08-29-2004, 04:09 AM
OH Right! Nissan

Nissan - Infiniti

Toyota - Lexus

Honda - Acura

Jngrbrdman
08-31-2004, 09:09 AM
If you can get a GSR Sedan then I would highly recommend getting one. I have never had any reason to complain about mine. I love the body lines and it is a very peppy little four cylinder engine. I haven`t driven a car yet that I would sell my Integra to buy. Untill I can find something that I don`t like about it anymore, I am keeping it.

As far as only being able to get OEM parts for it.... whoever said that is a moron. They make more aftermarket parts for the Integra than just about any other car. Hondas are like Lego cars. You can change just about anything on them with parts from another Honda or from an aftermarket company. They are highly customizable. Honda is the poster child for customization.

SpoiledMan
08-31-2004, 09:32 AM
Nuthin like like a V-TEC growl! The GS-R is a car with two personalities. It`s got this quiet side that is happy on the date and this wild side that is happy at the track. It`s a pretty reliable ride and the value is hanging around in this truck loved environment. With simple mods, you have a car that will run the 1/4 mile under 15 seconds yet still return excellent mileage. Get one if you can!:cool:

Michaelwdes
09-01-2004, 04:56 AM
you can find a TON of mods for the honda/acura line.

you cant too much for the G20.

every kidd in town has a honda/acura

the G20 is a bit more refined in every sense.

have had both.

and no you cant put a SR-20 motor in a G20...hahah

shoot me a pm if you have any more questions, (-:

C.T.

hondaguy2582
09-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Go with the integra. Performance and reliability in the same package.

kartoon
09-02-2004, 10:03 PM
I`d go with the Integra as well. While the G20 is (so I`ve heard) a good handler it`s based on a Sentra and I`m not a big fan of them. Either way I think you`ll be happy with your purchase. Good luck !

JaCkaL829
09-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Just talked to my insurance guy, curious as to what each car would cost me. The Acura was about $200 more than the Infiniti. Our rep said this area is really bad with them getting stolen. Apparently the 98-00 Integra is one of the most stolen cars. I was lookin at in integra the other and felt the cabin was a little small. The G20 seems to have way more room. Anyway i`d prob test drive both of them, before my final decision. Unfortunately I won`t be able to get 1 until next June. My dad`s getting his car repaired so I`m hoping to sell my truck by June, even if it means going lower then a want. I figure i`ll take my time and save up during the winter/spring then get something I really like and want, instead of rushing. Thanks for all the help and input!

:bow :bow

:wavey

Jngrbrdman
09-03-2004, 08:13 AM
If you are single and under 25 then the GSR will really stick it to you with insurance. It is not designed to be a grocery getter. If it is too small for you then you should get something that is bigger, of course. Driving a GSR is great. I was perfectly happy with my Mustang until I drove a GSR sedan. They are so hard to find that I had to have mine brought in from California because it was the closest one for sale at any Acura dealership at the time. Once you drive it you will understand why it is one of the most stolen cars in the country. It is a blast to drive. Put that motor in a lighter car and you will have a screamer. If you like the style of the Integra then you could always get a non-GSR and not have the insurance problem. If you like modding the car then you can`t pick a better platform than a Civic or an Integra.

JaCkaL829
09-03-2004, 02:26 PM
I was originally looking at a GS Sedan, no GSR. The insurance guy said nothing about the GSR, but i`m sure it would be even more. I`m not to much into speed and going fast, and especially after my accident in June, I really don`t want to put myself at risk for another accident or ticket which would really mess up my insurance.

Jngrbrdman
09-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Ah, well, in that case.... Get whichever one is your size. The best part about the Integra is the engine. The Integra GSR is the most stolen car in America. Nobody wants to steal a GS motor. Its what`s under the hood that makes it a killer. Make sure your insurance guy was checking a GS and not the GSR. The GSR is insured as a sport car and the GS is just a sedan. Insurance should be lower in that case. I guess I should have realized it wasn`t the GSR you were shopping for. Those are 170 HP base and I don`t think the G20 goes that high. 145 or something like that is probably what you are looking at there. That is normal Integra power ratings there.

Have you looked into something like an Accord? That is nice and roomy and 150 HP base. Nothing more reliable than an Accord these days. I`ve got a 99 LX sedan and have never had a single problem with it. Its great for road trips too.

hirosh
09-03-2004, 03:13 PM
the G20 is based on the Nissan Sentra, but has the Sentra SE-R`s 140(?)hp motor, which is a pretty good motor when it came out. and being an infiniti, it`ll be more luxurious than a regular sentra.

the integra is one nice car, but also highly wanted by car thieves. and while you can use other parts besides OEM, my friend who is a mechanic at a Honda repair shop says that the OEM parts are the best in that Honda has such tight tolerances on them that they fit very well. more costly though.

but i do agree with you that you should test drive both of them, preferbly close together so you remember what the other one felt like.