PDA

View Full Version : Something Stronger

mrchris
08-28-2004, 10:07 AM
I`m looking to use a more aggressive approach to cleaning my paint without having to purchase a rotary buffer. Ideas? I`ve used body scrubs and paint cleaners in the past, but now I want something a little stronger.

kbshadow
08-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Have you tried a clay bar.

mrchris
08-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Did the clay bar...did the white vinegar.

imported_Greg
08-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Do you have a buffer at all? What have you tried? There are certain limitations of a PC.

mrchris
08-28-2004, 09:37 PM
I have a Porter Cable Polisher, used the body scrub, used other name brand paint cleaners, tried the clay bar along with distilled vinegar. I`m looking for something slightly more aggressive and not have to buy a rotary buffer and worry about burning through my clear coat or the paint.

DaGonz
08-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Have you tried DACP?

JayC
08-28-2004, 09:51 PM
SSR 3 is pretty aggressive with a yellow cutting pad. You`ll have to follow it up with SSR 2.5 to remove any micro scratching. That`s a pretty good combo tho. Ive used it on several cars that were etched bad and it`s performed pretty well.

mrchris
08-28-2004, 09:56 PM
I appreciate all of your opinions. I own a black 87 GN and I`ve always thought the car looked pretty good when I was done detailing it, but I always think could I have done something or used something that might make it just that much better. Again, Thanks.

JayC
08-28-2004, 10:02 PM
Is it original paint? If it is, Im not so sure Id try anything too aggressive. Every GN Ive ever owned (and seen) had pretty thin clear on them, especially the later 87 ones that were rushed out of the factory.

shaf
08-29-2004, 02:16 PM
How about this question: What on earth are you trying to do anyway? :nixweiss

I`m hearing things like vinegar and clay... but then also things like Body Scrub and other abrasive polishes. They have different jobs, so do you want a cleaner for "dirt", or an abrasive product for correcting paint damage?

mrchris
08-29-2004, 02:29 PM
As I asked in my very first thread..I`m looking for a paint cleaner that I can use that is slightly more aggressive than your "average" cleaners, without having to purcahse a rotary buffer to use the product. I`m looking to remove some fine scratches, water spots and the methods I`ve metioned above don`t seem to give me the results I`m looking for. So all I`m asking for is some methods that have been used in the past that work for the folks on this board.