PDA

View Full Version : Can i have your opinion on this...

6']['9
08-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Regard less of prep do you think that Single stage finishes come out better than basecoat clearcoat finishes. Besides the Orange peel that BC/CC finishes have why is it that the SS finishes come out better. or do you think its just personal preferance...:o

imported_series1
08-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Are you comparing trans am paint to the camaro SS?

SpoiledMan
08-27-2004, 04:53 PM
I think his "SS" is referring to Single Stage paint.

I like the look of SS black paint more so than BC/CC black paint.

hirosh
08-27-2004, 06:07 PM
maybe it`s because a SS paint, the color isn`t being covered by a clearcoat, can show more depth and wetness of the color, and basically when prepping, you`re removing all the dead paint and leaving fresh paint? :nixweiss

but i dislike the color transfer from prepping a SS.

stilez
08-27-2004, 06:09 PM
I like 3-stage the best :)

2 different color coats (wet on wet procedure), then a clear.

3 stagers are supposed to show maximum depth of color.

6']['9
08-27-2004, 09:32 PM
how do you know which vehicles have which?

imported_mirrorfinishman
08-27-2004, 10:06 PM
If you check out some of your local car shows you will probably notice that almost all of the classic cars now being restored are being painted with clear coat finishes. From my experience, I would say that for every vehicle that has been re-done with original type single stage paint there will usually be nine other cars that have been converted over to clear coat. Next time you`re at a car show, take note of how many classic cars actually have original single stage paint, with no orange peel effect, compared to clear coat. This is especially true with older GM cars where the original paint was acrylic lacquer.

6']['9
08-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Thanks

Scottwax
08-28-2004, 02:40 PM
If you prep the paint properly, most people would be hard pressed to tell if the finish was single stage or base coat/clear coat.

Woob
08-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Yeah I`ve heard of layering and making sure your paint is in good prep condition then just layering Clear Coat makes the car look sweet! In a way you get the best of both worlds