PDA

View Full Version : How many layers?

Pages : [1] 2

Craigmri
08-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Greetings experts!

Getting ready to wash my wife`s brand new Kia Sedona with Dawn(to remove any residual wax) then clay to prepare for sealer.

I decided to go with the Liquid Glass since I have a good supply on hand. My question is this........How many layers before its not worth it anymore? I plan to apply a coat then bake in the sun(as per instruction on container), wait 24 hours and apply a second coat. Will I see any appreciable improvment by adding a third coat?

Craig

`04 Sedona EX

Jngrbrdman
08-26-2004, 04:40 PM
I don`t know that you will need to do a dawn wash on a brand new car. I would have to assume that there isn`t any wax on the car if you haven`t waxed it yet. Either way, for the most part it seems that 5 layers is the peak for most of the sealants that I have used. 3 or 4 seems to be good enough. I stop at 3 layers usually. More than that looks a little better, but 3 is good enough for me. Only I notice the difference after that point.

Dennis H.
08-26-2004, 04:55 PM
Depends on which Liquid Glass you have. Over the years I`ve seen 3 different Liquid Glass packages each from a different company. The most familiar is the one with the Corvette on the label. If that`s the one you have then it`s basically a cleaner wax. Multiple coats may help with polishing but going past 2 will more of an exercise than beneficial.

Craigmri
08-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Guys,

I have the container with the old red Corvette. It has no wax or silicones in it. These are the indredients in order:

Aliphatic Hydrocarbons, Amino Polymers, Ultraviolet sunscreen inhibitors, Moisturizers, conditioners, rust inhibitors, mild inert cleaning agents, aliphatic petroleum solvents.

I have little idea what does what. I can identify things that are obvious chemical cleaners but not much more than that.

I`m going to schedule the Sedona for three layers with 24 hours between each coat. By that time I suspect I`ll be spent!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Craig

Dennis H.
08-26-2004, 05:33 PM
Aliphatic hydrocarbons - solvents

Amino Polymers - probably acrylics or amino functional silicones

Ultra violet sunscreen inhibitors - I`ll leave that one alonge

Moisturizers - Oils that are supposed to add depth but don`t really moisturize

Conditioners - same as above

rust inhibitors - amino functionals again

mild inert cleaning agents - abrasives/polishes/cleaners.

Stick with one or two applications so you have enough strength to lift a beer when your done. Also get all done in the same day you will be much happier.

ALAN81
08-26-2004, 05:54 PM
AFTER washing and claying your car put on TWO coats of LG and every week for about 4 -5 weeks wash and put on another coat of LG MY nephew did this to his car and it looks real good.Don`t ask me how or why but if you prep the car right weekly coats make his burgundy car shine.Im a carnuba man

shaf
08-26-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Dennis H.

Ultra violet sunscreen inhibitors - I`ll leave that one alone

Moisturizers - Oils that are supposed to add depth but don`t really moisturize

Conditioners - same as above

Hahaha! :bow

:xyxthumbs

Craigmri
08-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Cooling off after washing and claying the Sedona. The paint is slicker than snot on a porcelin door knob.:D

From the replies I suspect the LG isnt the product of choice. I figure once I`m done with this container I`ll try one of the more current products to see if there is an improvement.

10 minute break is over....Back to the 85 degree garage for me.

:scared

Craig

`04 Sedona EX

Craigmri
08-26-2004, 10:53 PM
Damn I`m dripping wet from perspiration :sosad

Finished buffing off the first layer of LG(on and off by hand). I used a terry cloth pad to apply the LG in a back and forth motion. I removed the haze with micro-fiber towels.

First I`ll say that the gloss is very good. I`m not dissapointed there. I will say that it took ALOT more effort to remove this stuff than I expected.:angry

It could be that I applied it a little too thick but I really tried to apply is thin. Are there any tips you pro`s could provide to help me out. I really want to apply another layer tomorrow but man I dred going through this effort again.

Is UPP or Z2 easier to remove??

Craig

`04 Sedona EX

acl99
08-26-2004, 11:00 PM
Since it has cleaners in it i would stop at 2 coats, not to add another layer but only to make sure you have full even coverage.

mgm2003
08-27-2004, 06:39 AM
Just curious.....

Why use Dawn if your going to apply a Claybar?

I understand that Dawn is part of the Zanio system, but other than that why not use something like AIO to remove your top coats?

Craigmri
08-27-2004, 06:43 AM
MGM,

I wanted to be certain I got all the original wax off the car(I had waxed the car two weeks prior). I needed to wash the car anyway so I thought.."Why not use Dawn and strip the finish". The clay bar was another assurance that no wax would remain prior to sealing.

I`m actually dreding the second application of LG cause it was so difficult to remove the first layer last night.

Craig

`04 Sedona EX

audio1der
08-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Do you spritz your applicator with QD? Try that- it really increases spreadability of the product. Keep trying to apply it thin as well- sounds like you`re on the right track!

Craigmri
08-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Audio,

When you say QD, do you mean Quik Detailer?? As in the spray detailer? Will that interfere with the sealer?

Craig

acl99
08-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Craig you dont need to worry about bonding issues, the LG your using has cleaner in them that will help it bond and most likely remove any previous coats of wax.