PDA

View Full Version : step by step

NVcobra
08-26-2004, 04:07 PM
hello,im new to serious detailing, i got a 97 cobra that need a real good going over A-Z. Im not familair with products etc,but i do want to use this NXT stuff i hear alot about,can u gimme a 1,2,3,4,5 step by step cleaning plan with specific names of brands that go good with nxt,ty

NVcobra
08-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Ps, its a black car,if this helps any

LaroiB
08-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Ty,

The group on this board is extremely knowlegeable and helpful, but, your question/s can be answered by clicking on the learn icon. Then, if you have specific questions on anything, then ask them....after doing a good search first. Many issues have been discussed on this board, often multiple times. I am a black F350 crew cab dually owner, so I know the way of the black vehicle detail.

Mike

kbulava85
08-26-2004, 06:39 PM
NVCobra

If your were just sticking to Meguiar`s (GREAT products, although I am now building my personal store with more manufacturers stuff), I`d go for:

1. #126 NXT Wash

2. #11 Clay

3. #10 Clear Coat Body Scrub (cleaner polish)

4. #21 Deep Crystal Sytem Polish (pure polish)

5. #127 NXT Tech Wax

I`d say you couldn`t go wrong with the above, and Meguiar`s (as I found out) is a great place to start.

Just my personal opinion you understand, but I`ve been WELL PLEASED with the above combo.

Hope that`s of some help...

Cal :D

kbulava85
08-26-2004, 07:15 PM
NVCobra

Further to the above, just to give you a rough idea of that 5 step plan; here is a (very low res) pic of my (15 year old) baby Peugeot on a very cloudy and gray day here in the UK a few months ago. (Hey, this is good for the UK — IT WASN`T RAINING!)

This was over 1 month after the above treatment, and it hadn`t been washed or QD`d for 3 to 4 days before the pic was taken.

Not the best photographic example, but I hope it helps.

http://www.cal.buck.btinternet.co.uk/205-2FR.jpg

I love my baby :D

Happy detailing!

Cal

PS

I just love this place, I learn so much every day. Thanks guys!

NVCobra, you`ll appreciate that I`m pretty new here, but I just thought that the above might be helpful. When you`ve decided what you`re going to use, and have DONE it... lets see some pics (hopefully with some of that great US sunshine included!). Even better, BEFORE and AFTER pics would be great!

shaf
08-26-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by LaroiB

Ty,

The group on this board is extremely knowlegeable and helpful, but, your question/s can be answered by clicking on the learn icon. Then, if you have specific questions on anything, then ask them....after doing a good search first. Many issues have been discussed on this board, often multiple times. I am a black F350 crew cab dually owner, so I know the way of the black vehicle detail.

Mike :xyxthumbs :bow

You learn WAY more doing it this way rather than having someone make a paint-by-numbers recipe up for you. Besides this, it often comes down to an in-person judgement call to see how strong a product you need to fix a problem.

kbulava85
08-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Hey LaroiB & 4DSC

You are so right guys. :bow My apologies for the above posts... I just thought it might be helpful if NVCobra`s pockets were burning and he HAD to start immediately.

Bear in mind that I`m pretty much of a newbie, and as such can get carried away by my (sometimes misplaced) enthusiasm.

The painting-by-numbers bit really hit home 4DSC. But then I guess that`s the culture on our planet here... wouldn`t it be great if we were taught to understand things first before Nike (just-do-it)?

Peace and Love!

Cal :D

shaf
08-26-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Cal

Hey LaroiB & 4DSC

You are so right guys. :bow My apologies for the above posts... No need to apologize - it was in the spirit of helping, and that`s what really matters. :bigups

LaroiB
08-27-2004, 02:00 PM
No apologies necessary in this thread Ty :up Just sharing with you the way I have gotten most of my info to meet my specific likes and needs. We all here have the same goal, but there are so many different tastes in what we like....depth of gloss, clarity, durability, ease of use, etc. What one likes on their black vehicle may not do it for you, but you will find just about every combination of cleaner/polish/wax has been used or talked about. I`ve been on here a few months, and still haven`t read every post, but I`m d*** sure trying. I feel like an addict......well....I am. :D In essence, this board is full of junkies.....detailing junkies:xyxthumbs and there is nuttin` wrong wit dat.

Stay safe

Mike:usa

Jngrbrdman
08-27-2004, 02:38 PM
I wrote this article (http://www.ocdetails.com/html/detailing_guide.html) in response to this kind of a question. Its a process that I use that explains a little bit about the steps that you can take. NXT is great, but proper claying and polishing should still happen prior to the NXT. On a black 97 there is more work that probably needs to be done than just a simple coat of NXT. Welcome to Autopia!

NVcobra
08-30-2004, 12:49 AM
thx very much guys, wish i could post a pic but i cant, with all the advice an research i ended up going with boyds shampoo,mothers gold clay,scratchX,megs deep crystal polish step2,then topped with NXT an 12 hours later 2nd coat NXT. All by hand , and i am absolutely amazed!!!!!!! Looks like its been dipped in baby oil, thx guys :bow