PDA

View Full Version : Which one would it be?

lpquick
08-26-2004, 11:42 AM
OK, you know what your doing, your a professional. If you had to start over again and could only get one polisher, which one would you choose and why?

a. cyclo (don`t know whom makes it or where do buy it, yet)

b. circular (makita, dewitt, ?)

I have a pc and enjoy using it but it is lacking for removing swirls. I can remove some about 45% which is OK, but it takes forever. I want to get either the cyclo or an circular. Would I sometimes need the cyclo if I purchase the circular or is it just some personal preference. Upside, downside to either or both? I want to take the next step but am looking to this forum for advice before I spend the dough! Everyone here has been awsome, the stories, the advise, your preferences and why, it`s great, Thanks for your opinions...:bow

raymond_ho2002
08-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Although I`ve never used a cyclo, i get the impression that it is a substitute for the PC.. A superior substitute. I therefore think that the cyclo would not be able to do some tasks as well or quickly as a rotary. If I were you, I would get a rotary, since any hologramming could easily be corrected by your PC.

6']['9
08-26-2004, 12:16 PM
ROTORY although ive had my rotory for 5 years and just started using it a year ago i LOVE IT

Auto Care USA
08-26-2004, 08:36 PM
My cyclo has been on the shelf for years. A true detailer must have and use a rotary buffer.

l33
08-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Auto Care USA

My cyclo has been on the shelf for years. A true detailer must have and use a rotary buffer.

I agree with that. I would also suggest the rotary, it takes some practice - much more than the pc, but once you get comfortable it is the ultimate defect removal / polishing tool (that i know of)

imported_series1
08-26-2004, 09:06 PM
It sounds like you need to step up to the rotary if you are not getting all defects out.

Detail 1
08-26-2004, 09:17 PM

Are you serious, A great detailer uses all tools to achieve perfection and a cyclo is a great tool dont bash it if you cant use it..

Dennis H.
08-26-2004, 10:09 PM
From personal experience I`d say start PC and graduate into a rotary. Never forget when I was younger and dumber going into the warehouse and trying my hand with a rotary on pops truck...He painted after I was done! He never really forgave me for that one.

TortoiseAWD
08-27-2004, 08:06 AM

My cyclo has been on the shelf for years. A true detailer must have and use a rotary buffer. :rolleyes:

"True detailer"?

All this time, and all those cars I`ve done for friends, family, and the occasional paying customer, and I`m not a "true" detailer. I feel so, so . . . inadequate now with my inferior PC and recently acquired Cyclo. All the true detailers are looking down their noses at me! Whatever shall I do?!

Tort

(tongue planted firmly in cheek)

lpquick
08-27-2004, 04:27 PM
OK, seems most people are pointing me to a true rotary. The few that spoke about using a cyclo didn`t mention needing to use a rotary at some point. Can a cyclo remove swirls and such like a rotary with a lot less chance of damaging the finish? The cyclo seems to be two pc`s in one, is this a correct assessment, or is it totally different. Another thing I want to consider, can I use the pads and backing plates I have for my pc with a rotary, or will I need to buy all new accessories? Thanks everyone, I`m leaning towards the cyclo, but I need a little more assurance I won`t regret my purchase a couple of months down the road.:bow

raymond_ho2002
08-27-2004, 04:51 PM
6.5" and 7.5" pads are interchangeable between PC and rotaries. You`ll only need to buy a velcro backing plate for the rotary. The cyclo requires its own set of pads and plates.