PDA

View Full Version : Tape on plastic moldings

I Roll
08-26-2004, 11:36 AM
For those of you with unpainted plastic/rubber moldings on your vehicles, do you tape over this stuff before polishing and waxing with a PC? These moldings are very discouraging because either I have to spend an extra 15-20 prep time to tape over them (somehow a little wax or polish will still get on them), or I have to spend that same amount of time, if not longer, trying to remove the wax when it dries up and leaves nice white spots. I`ve heard all the eraser, peanut butter, etc. tricks, but at least with my Volvo it still takes a lot of work to get that stuff off. Am I just stuck with dealing with this? Should I look for another car? I want to try detail work for friends and family, but I don`t want them complaining a week later when the wax dries on the molding. Thanks for your input.

H2SUT
08-26-2004, 01:28 PM
I haven`t tried it but supposedly the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge works good at getting the white off black trim.

Steve A
08-26-2004, 01:59 PM
I believe it was Mr. Chemist that suggested dressing the trim before you apply the wax or sealant. Put the dressing on fairly heavily and wipe off excess after waxing.