PDA

View Full Version : worked on a scratch last night

GTP LS1
08-26-2004, 08:59 AM
The other day when I was waxing my black Z28, I noticed some small scratches on the passenger side rear quarter panel. They were three of them about 2 inches long. Very hard to see and I was not able to feel them with my fingernail.

Last night I broke out the PC and did the following:

3-M 39009 with the CMA 4 inch spot repair orange pad. This removed a few of the fine scratches but there was still 1 remaining. I tried a few applications with the PC set on 6 but no luck.

Then I broke out another 4 inch orange pad and tired the Menzerna IP. I did not have much luck. The scratch was a little less noticable but still there. I tried different speeds 5 and 6 working it very slowly.

I purchased some DACP a few weeks back and decided to give it a try. I used the CMA yellow pad this time. It worked!! After the first application I could see the scratch fading. The paint was dull also. I applied two more applications and the scratch is gone. I then followed up with Menzerna FPII and then wax.

It was a challenge but well worth the time and effort.

I learned not to wimp out when you don`t first get the results you are after. Slowly step-up to something more aggressive. I still need more experience with the PC. I need to learn at what point to "stop compounding". Sometimes it takes a few applications and the results happen slowly.

Accumulator
08-26-2004, 05:23 PM
That`s a good example of how to do a job like that :xyxthumbs

GearHead_1
08-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Must have pics. :p

Glad it worked out.

sQuashed
08-26-2004, 06:31 PM
That is inspiration for me since Ive spent 2 hrs the other night on a couple scratches on the hood of my Black SS.. Im going back for more tonight.. I have IP,SSR2.5,1Z PP, AND 1Z MP but no DACD..I have Scratch X too but I havent tried it yet:nixweiss If my current products do not work out I`ll need to invest in DACD. Im worried that im going to polish the paint off trying to get to these scratches(I cannot feel them my fingernail,so they are not that deep)...

GTP LS1
08-27-2004, 07:31 AM
I am fairly new to polishing with the Porter Cable but I am trying to learn as much as possible. Learning to take my time is the most important thing for me. I am just now learning the limits of the PC. When I removed this scratch it was the first time I had my PC on speed 6.

It is also nice to have a bunch of different products available.

sQuashed: Good luck on your hood. Black is a tough color!

jasonmac
08-27-2004, 08:06 AM
Sounds good, GTP; just curious, did you try the PC at a *slower* speed, like 3-4? I thought that you really had to work something like IP in at that speed first to be effective...

GTP LS1
08-27-2004, 08:14 AM
I believe I worked the IP at a slower speed also but I can`t say I am 100% certain about that. Thanks for pointing that out. I will definately try that next time.

I have been very pleased with the IP so far. For the most part it has been a great product to work with.

Accumulator
08-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by sQuashed

That is inspiration for me since Ive spent 2 hrs the other night on a couple scratches on the hood of my Black SS.. Im going back for more tonight.. I have IP,SSR2.5,1Z PP, AND 1Z MP but no DACD..I have Scratch X too but I havent tried it yet:nixweiss If my current products do not work out I`ll need to invest in DACD. Im worried that im going to polish the paint off trying to get to these scratches(I cannot feel them my fingernail,so they are not that deep)...

Many scratches you can`t feel with your fingernail are still too deep to safely remove, so be careful.

FWIW, some of us find 1z`s Ultra/Extra much more user friendly than DACP. Pretty aggressive stuff, though, so only use it on bad scratches/marring and follow-up with a milder product.

GTP LS1
08-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Many scratches you can`t feel with your fingernail are still too deep to safely remove, so be careful.

I agree. The question becomes how to know when you encounter a situation like this. In my opinion the scratch I removed was very minor. I don`t think it would be visible if I had a silver car.

Is there any other "rules of thumb" to follow for scratch removal besides the finger nail test?

sQuashed
08-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks Accumulator, I`ll keep that in mind. Freak windstorm last night kept me in the house:down :down

GTP LS1, Good luck to you too.