PDA

View Full Version : NewBie ?`s on initial cleaning

01986S
08-26-2004, 07:11 AM
New to the board and have a couple ?`s.

I have an 89 Volvo with medium oxidation that I want to detail. I just ordered the PC 724 and Sonus pad kit. Was thinking of using the Menzerna Intensive polish then ther Final polish to get my feet WET with this new equipment before attemping any work on my Porsche.

Is masking a must when using the PC and Menzerna polish ???

After Polish I will apply a coat of 1 grand blitz

Any tips/comments I should be aware of starting out with the PC ??

Thanks ...

togwt
08-26-2004, 08:03 AM
~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Q: Is masking a must when using the PC and Menzerna polish ???

A: The use of masking tape is never a ‘must’ but it will save time on clean-up after you’ve finished the detail (most products will splatter no matter how good you are with a machine)

Q: After Polish I will apply a coat of 1 grand blitz

A: I have no experience with this product, I’m sure someone may give you some pointers

Q: Any tips/comments I should be aware of starting out with the PC ??

A: How-To Use The Porter Cable 7424 6" Orbital Polisher by DavidB may be as good a place to start as any

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

01986S
08-26-2004, 08:09 AM
??

Option 13
08-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Welcome to the best detailing site on the internet :xyxthumbs

Heres the article you were looking for:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

01986S
08-26-2004, 08:58 AM
:)

adjulian
08-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Glad to see anotoher Michigander in Autopia. Welcome!

I have used the Menzerna twins on my 03 Porsche 996 and they work great. I see that you are going to use Blitz after the Menzerna. Have you thought about applying a sealant, i.e. Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) before applying the wax? Klasse would be great especially for these Michigan winters.

TOGWT hit the nail on the head with regards to David`s article on the PC. Very informative. It`s hard to screw up with the PC but it also might take a little more time than you expect to achieve the results with a machine. Just be patient and read a lot on the forum!

Good luck!

01986S
08-26-2004, 09:41 AM
adjulian

Thanks for the reply - I have some 3M imperial hand glaze. Could this be used instead of the Klasse ?

Regards your 996 - I still am a bit leary of using a machine on my 986 but thought I could at least start out with it by using it to removing the Blitz with to begin with ...

Any thoughts ???

adjulian
08-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Tom -

I don`t have any experience with 3M IHG but I do know that it is not a sealant. What it will do is fill in some swirls and such prior to the use of a wax. It will not offer any kind of durable protection per se like a polymer sealant, i.e. Klasse, Zaino, etc. Go the REVIEW section and do a search for Glaze and you will find member`s thoughts about 3M IHG.

I wouldn`t be to leary about using your new PC on your 986 - like I said it is very hard to screw up with a PC (you could screw up but you would have to be trying pretty hard!). It would be a completely different story if you said you had purchased a rotary.

I have Klasse, Wolfgang, and Zaino in my stash - depending on where you are in Michigan I`d be happy to give you a sample of any of them to try out. I`m in Shelby Township currently.

Hope that helps.

adjulian
08-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Tom -

Check out this thread regarding 3M IHG:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11877&highlight=imperial+hand+glaze

Accumulator
08-26-2004, 05:22 PM
01986S- Taping off any black/gray trim might be a good idea as some polishes (not sure about the Menzerna) and Blitz can leave white stains. Drove me nuts on a Volvo 850 wagon, learned the hard way. Keep things off the trim and you won`t have to hassle around trying to get it off (and sometimes it doesn`t come off).

Taping (edges, etc.) to prevent cut-through will depend on the vehicle, but *usually* isn`t necessary with those products.