PDA

View Full Version : Does the front end need more care?

4runnerGuy
08-25-2004, 09:17 PM
My front bumper collect bugs and debris daily, and although I meticulously keep it clean, we all know it receives more abuse than the rest of the car. Does anyone clay their front end more often to remove embedded bug contaminants? I know using a polish more often on the front end would produce uneven wear (theorizing anyway). I have an hour of expressway travel daily and my front end looks like it could use a clay weekly. Is this not recommended? If not, what do you all do?

imported_series1
08-25-2004, 09:37 PM
A wash whenever possible and if all bugs don`t come off use a bug and tar remover but I don`t think claying too much will hurt the paint. (This is my opinion. I`m not sure is claying too much will hirt the paint.)

PrecisionOnline
08-26-2004, 12:18 AM
Claying won`t hurt the paint at all as long as the clay bar is kept "debris free."

Continous polishing the car (over time) will eventually shave away the clearcoat.

What you may want to do is after cleaning the front end free of bugs, apply 2 coats of paste wax. Then, when you begin your highway travel, spray PAM on the front end. This will create a stick-free surface and making wiping off super easy. When you get to your destination, just wipe off. Reapply when you leave work. Use a quick detailer and a microfiber towel to wipe away the smearing of PAM spray.

I know, it sounds tacky but really works. However, PAM spray is a cooking oil and contains some ingredients that slowly degrade the wax. Wash & wax (not polish) the front end every two weeks if possible.

Little tip for you! :bigups