PDA

View Full Version : neglected Cobra,where to start

Pages : [1] 2

NVcobra
08-25-2004, 07:36 PM
:nixweiss Hello,im new here so hope im not rehashing old ground. I just got a 97 Mustang Cobra with 20k miles,black on black,beautifull car but it has sat outside a couple of years driven very little....it has all the signs of neglect..water stains running down,light swirl all over,gritty hazy film,particles,bug an bird spots etc,..its really a shame. He said he washed and polished it about 6 months ago but didnt get to wax it... so its sat without wax till now. Im new to detailing..where in the world do i begin,i just got mothers clay kit and want to be sure i dont make the situation worse through ingorance, thanks for any help.

saling4
08-25-2004, 07:43 PM
I am new to this as well, but I know you have to use a good car wash on it (not dish soap) m Then clay it. Make sure you use something like QD to insure the clay slides smoothly. Then a cleaner and polish. I use Meguirs 3 step process for now, but intend to get more adventuress(?) as I continue reading in here.

Are you in NV? I am in Henderson, NV

jaybs02
08-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Cobra,

Pictures help in a situation like this.

Washing and claying is a start, but how much paint correction needs to be done?

Are you doing this by hand or machine?

"J"

P.S. :welcome

NVcobra
08-25-2004, 08:48 PM
thx so far...i dont think its real serious yet as far as paint correction goes, an yes im doing it by hand. Sailing4, no im in Ohio

giorgio
08-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Hi

I`m also starting on this(I`m in Mexico, border with Texas)

I have a Black 2001 F150 truck, got it brand new back then.

I just wax it once in a while but I don`t like anymore how it looks, It`s been outside all the time.

So far I got these and I just can`t wait to start.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43051

Salutes

Giorgio

imported_series1
08-25-2004, 09:40 PM
A mild polish and a wax is all I would think of right now based on from what you said and without seeing the car. If your paint is not smooth or sorta rough then I would recommend a clay bar.

Matt M, PA
08-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Oh no...reptile dysfunction!

I would definately start with a good wash. And, to add to the mystery, I`d use Dawn this initial time. I`d then do the clay thing and wash again with car wash soap.

Depending on how much time you have and the results you`re after, you could do as little as a cleaner-wax, or go over the paint with a swirl remover (like 3M`s for dark cars), followed by a good sealant. My preference in Zaino....but using a good something is better than nothing.

NVcobra
08-26-2004, 01:21 PM
thx guys...umm why the dawn matt, i hear its not good for cars

Matt M, PA
08-26-2004, 01:29 PM
You`ll find lots of conflicting info about Dawn and it`s use on cars. I would not recommend it for use as an everytime car-wash, but I use it before every big detail. (I even put a dash of baking soda in the water to help neutralize acid rain)

While some like to use a solvent like Pre-Sol or the like, I come from the old show car school where you always use the least agressive product you can. I avoid using any abrasives and solvents unless needed.

The PH of Dawn is not an issue, and for the short time that it is in contact with your paint...I can;t see how it is an issue.

Even the body shop I go to uses Dawn on just finished cars. They too see no problem with it`s use on occaision.

bufferman71
08-26-2004, 01:46 PM
You could go to your local auto paint store and ask for some wax and grease remover. Apply it to one rag for wiping on, and use another clean one for wiping off. These type of products do not damage surface, but remove any type of buildup or contaminates on surface.

topnotchtouch
08-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Unless you are using a product like Zaino that requires a wax/oil free surface why would you want or need to use Dawn? I don`t believe Dawn is harmful if used occaisionally but, I also don`t think you should use it if it is not necessary.

NavindraLR
08-26-2004, 02:36 PM
this whole dawn thing :nixweiss

?? confuses me??

hirosh
08-26-2004, 02:49 PM
welcome NVCobra.

it sounds like you have some work ahead of you. but the basic steps would be to:

wash

clay

polish

wax/seal

as to whether you should use Dawn to wash the car for the first time, it is up to you. whatever you do, don`t use Dawn all the time.

it is also good to get a quality washing mitt and a bunch of quality microfiber towels. as far as polishes and waxes and sealants go, there is a whole bunch out of good ones out there, you just need to figure out what you want. like do you want something you can get locally, or get over the Internet? easy to work with? but most importantly, it is good to learn the proper techniques in detailing. click on the `learn` button in the upper right hand corner, and read the articles in the `detailing how-to series`.

since you have a Cobra, you should have leather seats. a good leather cleaner and conditioner might be needed. that depends on if the previous owner took care of it or not, but since he didn`t take care of the outside, i am assuming he didn`t take care of the inside either.

i hope this helps. cobras are nice cars (can you say `95 cobra R? :p) and post pictures when you`re done! :wavey

NVcobra
08-30-2004, 01:13 AM
Thx guys, i ended using boyds shampoo,Mothers Gold Clay,ScratchX,Megs DC pure polish step2,and 2 coats of NXT! I did it all by hand:sosad . And after 16 hours of back breaking elbow grease,i have to say i am stupified!!:bounce I would never have dreamed this car would look like it does,wish i had some pics(will try). I never knew black could almost glow,and it looks like its been dipped in baby oil, all i can say is WOW, thx for all the advice guys :bow :xyxthumbs

Lowejackson
08-30-2004, 05:57 AM
I would give the paint a very good wash followed by claying. Then I would evaluate the paint to decide what needs to be done.