PDA

View Full Version : Waxing in sun

Pages : [1] 2

triplethreat
08-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Okay here`s my question I know you are supposed to wax in the shade but what do you do if shade is unavailable. Do they make a wax that is "safer" to use in direct sunlight

EBPcivicsi
08-25-2004, 04:18 PM
Check out Poorboy`s products. Sometimes I think his products actually prefer the sun.

Spilchy
08-25-2004, 04:35 PM
Technically, you should wash, polish and wax in the shade.

However, with a handful of products ou there, that is not the case.

You can use Poorboys and Clearkote products in the sun. They are tremendous products and I have used them in BLAZING heat with ease.

So, if you need to work in the sun, both companies make a fantastic assortment of polishes, glazes, chemical cleaners, sealants and waxes.

Or, you can invest in a 10x10 or 12x12 canopy. I have one and it`s cheap, a piece of cake to open and close and has saved my butt on numerous occasions. I got a 12x12 from WalMart for $99.

Others will chime in with some different sun friendly prodcuts. The ones I mentioned are great.

Canopy shot from yesterday:

wash-girl
08-25-2004, 05:59 PM
For washing in the sun, try QEW, and dry a section at a time as you do it. For paint cleaning and waxing, I`d go with SEC/GEPC and S100/P21S for their wipe on/wipe off qualities. The less time water droplets or a product has to be on your paint, in the sun, the better.

Antonio Wright
08-25-2004, 06:02 PM
I also recommend Poorboys product. :up

Dennis H.
08-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Apply product in the sun isn`t the problem...its the heat. It`s like sinking your teeth into ice cream. Ouch! It`s shocking to the paint. Cooling things contract heating things expand...shock a multi-layer paint system where each layer will move at a slightly different rate and you can end up with a good case of additional spiderwebbing.

Don
08-26-2004, 04:46 AM
I put two applications of Megs #20 on my car yesterday in direct sunlight. The biggest problems I encoundered were:

A) Some of the time while rubbing the #20 in, a second or third pass seemed to remove the product, liked it was dying too fast. Working smaller areas eliminated this.

and

B) I WAS SWEATING MY BUTT OFF!!!!!

Another effect was that during removal with a MF, the sealant would smear instead of buff off cleanly (mainly on the top surfaces where the sun was strongest). But I noticed that after I would work another panel and return to the smeared panel, the smears were gone :nixweiss

The end result was that the car was EXTEREMELY glossy with good depth and reflection (not to mention very slick).

On my next days off, I will try to add one more application of #20 followed by some NXT

blackntan
08-26-2004, 09:07 AM
This is easily the best wax for `non garaged` use that I have ever found.

It`s been reviewed here favorably a bunch of times, and hasn`t failed me yet. I love it.

http://www.americanshine.com/

ALAN81
08-26-2004, 01:33 PM
I used it and liked it a lot Smells great and does a good job.What I found interesting is that when I washed my applicator it was clean .No crap or chemicles left behind.Great bottle to work with and very nice quick shipping people who stand behind there product

Sinister04L
08-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Spilchy

Technically, you should wash, polish and wax in the shade.

However, with a handful of products ou there, that is not the case.

You can use Poorboys and Clearkote products in the sun. They are tremendous products and I have used them in BLAZING heat with ease.

So, if you need to work in the sun, both companies make a fantastic assortment of polishes, glazes, chemical cleaners, sealants and waxes.

Or, you can invest in a 10x10 or 12x12 canopy. I have one and it`s cheap, a piece of cake to open and close and has saved my butt on numerous occasions. I got a 12x12 from WalMart for $99.

Others will chime in with some different sun friendly prodcuts. The ones I mentioned are great.

Canopy shot from yesterday:

I have also used Clearkote and Poorboy`s in the heat with no problems. I like that canopy idea!

Sinister04L
08-26-2004, 03:04 PM
Damn double posts! :angry

Slythetove
08-26-2004, 03:28 PM
Zaino can be done in direct sunlight. I do almost all my Zaino application in the hot sun. Helps it cure faster.

imported_Intermezzo
08-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Yup, I`ve used Zaino in direct sunlight on a jet black car with no problems whatsoever.

Dennis H.
08-26-2004, 03:47 PM
We will probably have to agree to disagree with this one.

You most likely won`t see the problems right after you apply the product. Paint products are designed to hide this stuff. It`s later you find out when everything is stripped down. Then the questions become, How do I get rid of this micro marring.

triplethreat
08-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Okay my best assesment is that it is better just to spend the $100 or so to buy a popup canopy to use when a garage is unavailable then risk doing it in the sun. works for me.