PDA

View Full Version : Corolla`s clear--soft or hard ?

chip douglas
08-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Hi there,

since paint hardness/softness is to be taken into account when polishing a car, I`d like to know from experienced users, whether corolla`s clear coats are generaly soft or quite hard ? I`d tend to think they`re soft, and have heard so, but I prefer to ask it here.

Best regards

Marc

Bill D
08-25-2004, 02:52 PM
:nixweiss: I tend to think Japanese paints in general are softer, thus they chip easier:nixweiss. The guys at a recent Megs seminar saw my old Maxima and all the chips in it, I had repaired many a while back also.

chip douglas
08-25-2004, 02:58 PM
The reason I asked is after I tested a spot using Meg`s polishing pad + 3M`s fine cut rubbing compound, it left a beautiful finish but with holograms. I then thought about what I`d heard about soft japanese paints like you said.

Holograms in the is case however, are prolly due to not having put enough product on the pad, as the fine cut is not that abrasive.

Thanks Bill:D

Bill D
08-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Yeah probably all you probably need to do is just follow up with the PC :up

chip douglas
08-25-2004, 03:14 PM
I don`t have a PC, alt least not a decent one. Further I really make it a point to use the buffer only--I want to be proficient with the tool. I can easily get rid of those holograms if I follow up with PI III 5937 however, which is needed IMHO.

I find Meg`s polishing pad to be somewhat rough, cause if you compare wITH 3M`s polishing pad, it sorta of match Meg`s finishing pad, in terms of roughness.

Let me know what you think about it.

P.S. a fellow car painter I`ve known (who uses 3M`s products) has told me that he very rarely use compounding pads, as they leave too much scratches behind--he said he prefers to use 3m`s polishing pad whether it is for a fine cut, or medium cut application.

Bill D
08-25-2004, 03:17 PM
I don`t have the 3m pads, aren`t those the waffle weave type some were saying can scratch?

He he, if you hang around long enough here you`ll have not only the PC but the Cyclo too :o :D.Just got one this past weekend :bounce

chip douglas
08-25-2004, 03:20 PM
LOL this place is addictive dude :)

Yup the 3M pads are the waffle weave, you`re right. Some like them some don`t. As to me I don`t like them much.

Using the rotary, have you found Meg`s polising pads to leave some marring ?

Bill D
08-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Hard to say if it was my practicng technique or a combination of the 2, I think I made holograms with both Megs and LC any way so I really couldn`t say :nixweiss

chip douglas
08-25-2004, 03:29 PM
Holograms at least the ones from too rough a compound, are indeed scratches when you look at them from up close. I`d say a pad that is rough to the touch can create some, IMO. Pressure applied too can play into it. Not enough product on the pad, if you dry buff.

So a good way of seeing if the pad is responsible for those holograms would be to use the same compound on two doors, but on the first use Meg`s finishing pad, and on the second the polishing pad, if there`s some on the polishing pad door, then it means the pad is responsible for the introduction.

I`d definately think that if the pad is somewhat rough to the touch, then as soon as the compound flashes, one should stop right there, as the friction of a rought pad on the surface will most likely scratch bad.

Bill D
08-25-2004, 03:32 PM
Yeah I`d agree, I have 2 scrap fenders, you can go to meguiarsonline for photos of the Megs seminar, Rod was working on the maroon one. Maybe I`ll try experimenting ,trying to do that, next time.

chip douglas
08-25-2004, 03:33 PM
I`ll go and have a look right now

jerry@robs
08-25-2004, 09:34 PM
definitely soft... quite easy to restore

chip douglas
08-25-2004, 09:43 PM
come to think of it, you too had a corolla :) Thanks for chiming in hehe.

tkr128
08-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Yup, the paint on our Corolla (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42205) is pretty soft. The front end was repainted after a minor accident and I spend less time polishing the rest of the car than I do the front end. The repainted portions are hard as hell.

Amkeer
08-26-2004, 07:59 PM
Newer Toyotas have quite a bit of millage on the clear (thickness). This millage is good for longer term wear, but less resistant to chips. You get your tradeoffs. Personally I like the thicker finish for longer term durability and will live with the occassional rock chip.