PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for removing stubborn swirls...

ChippsAChoi
08-25-2004, 11:47 AM
I ordered SSR2.5 and thought that would be aggressive enough to remove the swirls, but unfortunately it didn’t do the job. :(

Just curious to see what others have used to remove some bad swirl marks with success.... please keep in mind that I do not have a PC. So all suggestions need to be products applied by hand...unless there are alternative products applied via hand.

Would it be worthwhile to try SSR3? :nixweiss

*The swirls I have are comparable to the ones on the SL, but not as many & dense.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41054 *

The car is a blk acura. Thanks in advance

scottabir
08-25-2004, 12:04 PM
ssr2.5 should remove most of the swirls...have you tried folding a terry towel into a small square and using that square for apply a lot of pressure to the surface? Maybe work on an area like 12"x12". Sorry if this is how you have been doing it. Thats about all I can think of to help you out.

maecrispy
08-25-2004, 12:05 PM
Hmmm... I`ve been able to remove moderate swirling by hand with SSR2.5 but it takes a *lot* of work. Did you work the product long enough until it broke down completely?

You could also try using the 1Z line of polishes (UP, PP, MP) as they`re hand friendly as well and I`ve had good results with them too.

All the above being said, investing in a PC will still yield results that you just can`t do by hand and it`ll save your forearms as well. :D

mgm2003
08-25-2004, 12:27 PM
I`ve used the professional 3M compound (sorry, I forget the exact product name), topped with 3M IHG by hand with very good results. It takes a fair amount of time and elbow grease, but it will do the job. I`ve also tried Meg`s scratch X by hand before, but didn`t have any luck with it. hope this helps!

ChippsAChoi
08-25-2004, 04:35 PM
When I apply SSR2.5 I dont use that much pressure, should I be?

I wait until it becomes dusty before moving along with the product.

Should I be applying this in a circular or up/down motion??

DSVWGLI
08-25-2004, 05:27 PM
I also like the 1Z line. Try using UP with a handi-grip applicator, if not abrasive enough wrap it in a terry cloth. Always follow UP with PP and or MP. Polish in a back and forth motion as not to create swirl marks.

Dennis H.
08-25-2004, 06:55 PM
I would stay away from compounds/medium abrasive products and move to lighter abrasives with smaller scratch patterns. You will have a much better chance of fixing the problem with a smaller scratch pattern and less of a chance creating more of a problem to contend with later.