PDA

View Full Version : Perfect inbetween buffer

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_turbomangt
08-25-2004, 07:38 AM
I`m sure glad I took Anthony`s advice and purchased a cyclo. It has saved my a-- many times. When you don`t need the aggressiveness of a high speed, and as we know the PC doesn`t correct defects, ALAS! here comes the cyclo. Just enough cuttng power to find perfection. One situation I had was a couple of Gallardo`s came into a dealership and had some imperfections. Turns out these cars were sitting outside overseas with covers on them held up due to paperwork. The covers beat the finish to death. Cyclo cleaned them up nicely. http://a8.cpimg.com/image/AA/B2/27876778-3e8f-01800120-.jpg

BillNorth
08-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Gary, I`m glad the Cyclo is working out for you. It looks like a nice tool. But I have to say I disagree with your statement "and as we know the PC doesn`t correct defects". I have seen with my own two eyes, as have many here, that the PC can in fact correct defects. If the proper pads and polishes are used, and enough time is invested, then you can achieve fantastic results with a PC.

JMHO,

Bill.

imported_turbomangt
08-25-2004, 07:56 AM
Bill, its ok to disagree, which is why this place is great interaction. I always use the LEAST aggressive approach first. In the situation of this Gallardo, the PC was ineffective. and I sure wouldn`t put the high speed on a brand new (black) $175,000 car. so in this case, the cyclo was perfect. :up

BillNorth
08-25-2004, 08:02 AM
Gary, I understand your reluctance to use a high speed. I would be the same way if in your position.

Did you try the PC with a cutting pad and a DACP type of polish? Did that combination let you down?

Bill.

imported_turbomangt
08-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Bill, I`m constantly experimenting on spare auto body parts I get at body shops. I`ve tried the red pad with the PC using fine cut, DACP, HTFC, and others. sometimes it will cover up the blemish, but I`d rather remove it if possible. If you have some tips, I`m all ears. Thanks Gary

BillNorth
08-25-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by turbomangt

Bill, I`m constantly experimenting on spare auto body parts I get at body shops. I`ve tried the red pad with the PC using fine cut, DACP, HTFC, and others. sometimes it will cover up the blemish, but I`d rather remove it if possible. If you have some tips, I`m all ears. Thanks Gary

I`m not sure about all the other polishes you mentioned, but I know that DACP has oils and fillers in it. That`s one reason I avoid it. It can mask what it does not remove. My go-to combo is 3M Finesse It II with a meguiars cutting (burgundy) pad. After 3 or 4 applications on a section I am able to remove anywhere between 80-95% of my swirls, depending on how deep they are. The FI2 has no filler and leaves my paint squeaky clean.

It is entirely possible that the swirls you are dealing with at the shop are just too deep for the PC to handle. I have encountered, this, though not that often.

Bill.

imported_turbomangt
08-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Never tried any of the 3-m line, perhaps I should try some. Gary

stevet
08-25-2004, 09:01 AM
BillNorth,

I also use Finesse it II with good results. Give 3M Perfect it III Rubbing Compound a try for the other 20% -5% you can`t get with Finesse it II.

turbo,

I have read many times on Autopia that a PC can`t correct paint. This is total BS. I use 3M and Menzerna compounds and polishes and they do not contain fillers. I use them with a PC and have removed many swirls not filled them. The PC takes longer than a rotary but I would say you can correct 90% of the paint defects you will encounter and the other 10% will require a rotary.

lpquick
08-25-2004, 09:01 AM
I own a pc, bought some 1z and 1z ultra. Is it possible to remove swirls and minor blems with my pc using 1z first, then 1z ultra if needed, then AIO as a final polish before adding a sealant? What speed do you start out with and how fast will you go before deciding you need to step it up and change the polish or pad?

Can I go from say 1z ultra, then to 1z, then to AIO, or do I still need another polish to help between the 1z and the AIO.

Thanks for any advice offered!

l33
08-25-2004, 09:04 AM
I think when people mention you can`t remove "defects" with the PC they are not talking about swirling, but slightly deeper scratches. Most swirls can be taken out by hand.

stevet
08-25-2004, 09:16 AM
Maybe someone should define "defects".

I have removed swirls, water spot etching, oxidation, deep scratches, and bird sh#t etching, all with a PC.

Accumulator
08-25-2004, 12:04 PM
turbomangt- Glad to hear the Cyclo is working out so well for you! Yeah, it *can* do things that the PC can`t and it`s my favorite detailing tool. They last forever, too.

Not to turn this into a flame war (it`s OK to have different views/experiences and different situations are different), but I`ve had marring (not-bad scratches/bad "swirls") in Audi clear that the PC *would not remove*. I used a PC with wool pads and 3M PI-II FCRC (39002) for an entire day, morning to late at night. Used the whole bottle of it and many wool pads. Tried everything, speeds 4-6, no/gentle/heavy pressure, you name it. Never did get some of it out. But I`ve since removed much *worse* stuff (quickly and easily) with a rotary. Sometimes you really do need the heat/friction; just doing it *longer* with the PC won`t accomplish the same thing. Depends on the paint and the defect, IMO you just can`t generalize too much with all the different variables that can come into play.

The Cyclo really is a great middle-of-the-road choice :xyxthumbs I notice more and more Autopians using them, used to be that only Anthony and I ever mentioned them.

scottabir
08-25-2004, 12:13 PM
I have been happy with the cyclo after the first 3 times I used it. The first 3 times I wasnt sure, because it can be awkard to handle. But it is now my favorite polisher outside the rotary for finish work on black cars. plus the pads are cheap(er) :D

I have removed marring/light scratches with the PC but it takes a substantial amount of time for me to do it. Myabe it is just techniques I use and not the machine. I reserve the PC for scrubbing carpets and for tight spaces where the cyclo cant go.

I too am glad I heard Accumulator and anthony talking about it. :up

Bill D
08-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Yeah,

Accumulator influenced me into getting a Cyclo.

I have been able to remove micormarring up to light scratches with the PC but it`s just so tedious and time consuming.

I think I`ll be using the Cyclo perhaps up to 90% of the time now that I have it :up

l33
08-25-2004, 12:15 PM
do you find the cyclo leaves holograms like a rotary?