PDA

View Full Version : I`m on info overload again!Product steps,diff combo/same color. (GSRstilez/SCOTTWAX)

03COBRA
08-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Ok, I`m getting better and better at this whole detail thing. My next challenge is getting swirls out. I am currently using SSR 2.5, but doesn`t seem to be working very well for me. So I am going to get some DACP and give it a try. But anyway`s my real questions are.

1) Why is there so many combo`s by the same person, on the same color. For example, SCOTTWAX, looking through his gallery, I see that he uses VM/EX-P on one car, and on the next he uses PwC and EX. And then on some cars he will go straight from #80 to EX, then DACP/#80/EX-P. Is it just trying things to get the right combo, or do different combo`s work better on different shaped cars?

-------------------------

2) I have been using SSR 2.5 with a Cutting pad to remove swirls, but I have seen some people using a polishing pad with SSR 2.5, why is that?

3) Can I use VM right after DACP, or should I go to #9 then the VM? OR should I use DACP followed by #80?

4) How long should I take on each panel with the DACP to remove the swirls? How long on the polishing?

5) How do I know when to use DACP, #80, #9?

6) Also, I am doing a 2003 Lincoln Navi on Monday, what should I use? This is what I was think-

-- Wash

-- Clay

-- DACP

-- VM

-- EX-P

-- Natty`s Or EX

7) Basically how am I supposed to know what is the best combo for these colors if you guys use so many different combo`s?:nixweiss

BillNorth
08-23-2004, 09:17 PM
I`ll put my answers in CAPS inside your quote.

Originally posted by O4cobra

Ok, I`m getting better and better at this whole detail thing. My next challenge is getting swirls out. I am currently using SSR 2.5, but doesn`t seem to be working very well for me. So I am going to get some DACP and give it a try. But anyway`s my real questions are.

1) Why is there so many combo`s by the same person, on the same color. For example, SCOTTWAX, looking through his gallery, I see that he uses VM/EX-P on one car, and on the next he uses PwC and EX. And then on some cars he will go straight from #80 to EX, then DACP/#80/EX-P. Is it just trying things to get the right combo, or do different combo`s work better on different shaped cars?

THAT`S THE FUN OF DETAILING. TRYING DIFFERENT COMBOS ON THE SAME AND DIFFERNT COLOURS. THE COMBOS PEOPLE LIKE ONE MONTH, MAY CHANGE THE NEXT.

DIFFERENT CARS REQUIRE DIFFERENT LEVELS OF PREP, WHICH WOULD EXPLAIN WHY SCOTT AND OTHER USE DIFFERENT PRODUCTS AND STEPS. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE CONDITION OF THE CAR, THE TYPE OF PAINT, ETC.

2) I have been using SSR 2.5 with a Cutting pad to remove swirls, but I have seen some people using a polishing pad with SSR 2.5, why is that?

I DON`T USE SSR, BUT I WOULD IMAGINE IT`S TO BRING OUT THE LAST BIT OF GLOSS IN THE PAINT. I BELIEVE SSR IS THE TYPE OF POLISH THAT HAS ABRASIVES WHICH DIMINSH VERY FINE, LENDING ITSELF WELL TO A POLISHING PAD AS WELL AS A CUTTING PAD. SSR USERS, PLEAS CORRECT ME IF I`M WRONG. I KNOW SOME FINESSE IT USERS WHO DO THIS.

3) Can I use VM right after DACP, or should I go to #9 then the VM? OR should I use DACP followed by #80?

AGAIN, IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE PAINT, CONDITION, ETC. THE MORE YOU DETAIL, THE BETTER THE FEEL YOU WILL GET FOR THESE TYPES OF THINGS. THERE REALLY IS NO HARD AND FAST SINGLE ANSWER.

4) How long should I take on each panel with the DACP to remove the swirls? How long on the polishing?

WITH YOUR PC, START OUT IN A FRONT TO BACK THEN SIDE TO SIDE MOTION. START ON ABOUT SPEED 3. AFTER 1 PASS EACH WAY, UP THE SPEED TO 5 AND CONTINUE IN F TO B, S TO S UNTIL THE POLISH STARTS TO DRY UP. BUFF OF THE RESIDUE WITH YOUR MF. REPEAT IF SWIRLS ARE STILL PRESENT.

5) How do I know when to use DACP, #80, #9?

AGAIN, DEPENDS ON THE CONDITION OF THE PAINT, ETC (DON`T YOU LOVE THESE ANSWERS!)

6) Also, I am doing a 2003 Lincoln Navi on Monday, what should I use? This is what I was think-

-- Wash

-- Clay

-- DACP

-- VM

-- EX-P

-- Natty`s Or EX

YOUR ORDER AND PRODUCTS LOOK GREAT. I WOULD TOP THE EXP WITH NATTY`S AS OPPOSED TO EX. I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF GOOD ABOUT NATTY`S.

7) Basically how am I supposed to know what is the best combo for these colors if you guys use so many different combo`s?:nixweiss

A LOT OF IT WILL DEPEND ON YOUR OWN PERSONAL TASTE. THE MORE YOUR DETAIL, THE MORE PF A TASTE YOU WILL ACQUIRE FOR YOURSELF. WHAT LOOKS GOOD TO ME MAY NOT TO YOU. KEEP THAT IN MIND.

Hope this helps.

Bill. :up

6']['9
08-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Try this when you read the site and do searches read and see if it works for you or if you`d like to try something else. You kinda have to have an eye for these things as far as knowing what to attack a certain kind of paint with. I may detail a C5 and automatically know "ok this needs IP or ok this really doesnt need ip it could use ssr2 and that will be ok.

Once you get a chance to use the products and see how they work and you do enough cars you can kinda tell what works for what. thats why so many people post for you to start with the least abrasive and work your way from there. then you know what the product can and cant do.

You can work a certain panel with DACP for 15 minutes with a pc on 6 where as if you use IP or Top of the lines Medium cut for 4 minutes on speed 6. it all depends on how well you know the products and their limitations. You are going to end up getting a lot of answers from so many questions..

If you purchase the products you like to try just get to know them and you can work from there

good luck

Scottwax
08-23-2004, 11:16 PM
1) I like to experiment. Also, different colors respond differently to products. I feel I can tweak the appearance 5-10% from super reflective to super deep by varying my final glaze and last step product. A lot of times, after using #80, I`ll follow with NXT because they compliment each other so well.

2) I sometimes will use a more aggressive pad before using a more aggressive polish. Just more experimenting to see what works best.

3) As long as you work DACP until it is dusting, you can almost always go to your final glaze. If you are using a cutting pad, you will probably have to use #82, #80 or #9 first.

4) As long as it takes for DACP to start dusting up. You may have to go over a panel again if any swirls were missed. No real hard and fast rules here. Pretty much as long as it takes.

5) If #9 doesn`t work, get more aggressive. With practice, you will usually be able to eyeball the paint and have a real good idea where to start.

6) Sounds like a plan. If #80 does the necessary polishing though, DACP is a wasted step. Start with #80 and only use DACP if you have to.

7) After using several last step products and detailing a lot of different cars, you usually just know. At this point, you might want to try several last step products on as many colors as you can and decide for yourself which combos look best to you.

hirosh
08-24-2004, 01:38 AM
1. the joy of detailing and experimenting with different combos. plus different paints require different prep.

2. i`m with you on this, ssr 2.5 with a cutting pad to remove swirls. interestingly enough, when i first start off, dry unloaded pad, if i really work the 2.5 to the point where it disappears, the finish is usually nice enough to go to an LSP, or VM in my case. after that once the pad gets loaded, it doesn`t happen. i`m probably using too much and not working it enough. still trying to figure it out. might have to give ranney a call.

3. you might want to search for ssr 2.5. i`ve heard it is similar to DACP, in cutting power and the way it works.

6. prep, then VM, EX, maybe Natty`s if you feel like it. i think EX is very similar to EX-P with a caranuba topper.

7. do as much cars as you want to and experiement! :D i`ve also found it search the `click & brag` section for certain combos or colors.

good luck! :xyxthumbs

imported_COBRyan
08-24-2004, 01:45 AM
What color is the Navi?

03COBRA
08-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by COBRyan

What color is the Navi?

Black! :D

Here is what I was figuring:

Wash

Clay

DACP (If Needed)

#80 Or PwC

VM

EX-P

Natty`s Or S100 Or Souveran

What do you think for a topper Bryan?

I have Natty`s here, but I can always run up to Rocklin and get some S100?

stilez
08-24-2004, 02:51 PM
I agree with all that was said here :)

I would top with Natty`s on the Navi.

flip2jetta
08-24-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by O4cobra

Black! :D

Here is what I was figuring:

Wash

Clay

DACP (If Needed)

#80 Or PwC

VM

EX-P

Natty`s Or S100 Or Souveran

What do you think for a topper Bryan?

I have Natty`s here, but I can always run up to Rocklin and get some S100?

Why go all the way to Rocklin for S100? There`s a Harley Dealer in North Sac. Near the Arden Mall, incase you didn`t know ;)

imported_COBRyan
08-24-2004, 07:33 PM
I get my S100 at the Harley shop right in Folsom, near the outlets.

03COBRA
08-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by flip2jetta

Why go all the way to Rocklin for S100? There`s a Harley Dealer in North Sac. Near the Arden Mall, incase you didn`t know ;)

I live in Orangevale, so Rocklin is like a 15 minute drive, just take Hazel all the way there!!!:p But I think I will go with the NAtty`s that I have!!:D

detailforfun
08-28-2004, 12:11 AM
My head starts spinning with all the products, combo`s. Look all good to me. Does anyone have a link to a pool showing the most favorable products/combos?

Thx.

Toyo98
08-28-2004, 09:40 AM
Here you go:

The Link (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=36723&highlight=poll) . This product/combo thing will also depend on the color of your car so do some more searches about colors.

Hope it helps.