PDA

View Full Version : Will ClearKote VM remove wax?

90 ZR-1
08-22-2004, 02:52 PM
I want to redue my ZR-1. A few weeks ago I went full bore on my ZR-1 and was sorta happy with it, sorta not right after I finished. I got caught out in the rain with her, only a few drops on the car but I couldn`t get the water off right away. Now I am really not happy with how it looks. Right now I have VM, S100 spray wax, NXT, IBIZ spray wax, and final inspection on the car. I want to remove all this at start at the clear coat and go up. I plan to use ClearKote VM, NXT, S100 paste, final inspection/quick detail.

The thing is I just had the hood replaced/painted at the begining of the season (late april earlly may) and am a little hesitant to use a polish on it to strip the wax etc off the car. The only polish I have is Meguiars Deep Crystal. I know it`s not the best but it should serve do what I need it to do. Is the polish the best way to go about this or should I be exploring other options? I also heard that the VM will take care of removing the product I have on there now.

Which leads me to my second question:

Should I let the VM set on the car for a while before I remove it? Or should I whipe it right off?

Edit: will I gain any depth to the shine if I apply more then one coat of VM, NXT, or S100, or am I just waisting product?

tpgsr
08-22-2004, 02:57 PM
Well, VM has cleaners in it, but it *might not remove all of the wax. I would recommend using the deep crystal first, then continuing with the plan. As far as removing goes, i like to put it on using the pc at 4.5 with a finishing pad, and removing with a MF right away. It comes off so easy like that .

ZaneO
08-22-2004, 02:59 PM
VM should remove what you have on the car right now.

Just apply it and remove it. There`s no need/benefit to let it sit.

90 ZR-1
08-22-2004, 03:06 PM
I should have mentioned that I am doing this by hand. I heard once that if you let the VM set on the car, it will add oils to the paint and thus make it better.

So I should just VM the car, then NXT, then S100?

scottabir
08-22-2004, 03:25 PM
DIrections on the bottle say not to let it dry...I have never let it dry so I dont know what will happen. I would just apply the VM like you normally would, thus removing the wax you have on it., then nxt, S100.

If your hood has micro mariing/blemishes on it then you should be able to polish it with no ill effects if it was painted in April.

If there is no swirls ect. then I would just go ahead and do the VM,NXT,S100 paste regime.

IMHO you will be wasting time/product by applying two coats of VM and NXT. But you might see a little difference by adding two coats of S100, depends on the color of your car in my opinion.

90 ZR-1
08-22-2004, 03:35 PM
The car is Bright Red and there are no swirl marks or anything like that on the car. I will be doing this by hand in the garage so heat won`t be a problem.

scottabir
08-22-2004, 03:36 PM
get some pics for us when you are done VM, NXT, S100!

90 ZR-1
08-22-2004, 03:42 PM
Pics go without saying. Im getting the car ready for Corvettes at Carlisle. I may try and do some work on the motor but I am afraid to look at that wrong. I am looking for something good to use on the aluminum suspension parts.

90 ZR-1
08-22-2004, 08:46 PM
I was told to use 2 coats of NXT, let the car sit for a day, then apply the S100

ZaneO
08-22-2004, 09:11 PM
That will work.

90 ZR-1
08-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Any reason to let the car sit for 24 hrs before the S100?

ZaneO
08-22-2004, 09:36 PM
It`s what most manufacturers recommend. It has to do with the product curing.

90 ZR-1
08-22-2004, 09:40 PM
OK. I have to pick it up tomorrow, along with the oil and filter to do a change on the GT. I have some pics of the detail I put on my GT if anyone wants to see them, and then I`ll post the ZR-1 when I get there in the next few days.

90 ZR-1
08-23-2004, 02:01 PM
I checked my local bike shop, they didn`t have the paste. Does anyone know where I can find it in the pittsburgh area?