PDA

View Full Version : PC Counterweights

AdamCKach
08-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Using the 7424 with Sonus pads, I experience a moderate vibration/shaking of the unit when I approach 4 on the dial. Should I pop on the 6" counterweight, or is this normal for the PC? I`m a noob with it, but have had pretty good results so far. Thanks folks.

Douxebris
08-22-2004, 02:12 PM
When I got my PC 7424, I put on the 6" plate and counterweight. Never looked back, as I`ve never had a vibration problem, at speeds <7.

Jeff Laughhunn

tpgsr
08-22-2004, 02:14 PM
First, Yeah the counterweight makes *some* difference, but after a few hours of using the pc, your hands will still be numb.

Second, Jeff, your PC has a 7 ??

Douxebris
08-22-2004, 02:18 PM
In my best Foghorn Leghorn voice...

"That`s a JOKE, there, Son, don`t ya get it?".

Yes, my PC only goes to 6.

Jeff Laughhunn

tpgsr
08-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Yeah, i just wanted to make sure that they havent beefed up the power of my littl old workhorse over here. If they had, you would have seen a used one up for sale and i would have a couple new one Instantly. Speaking of that, i need to go get another one, mine is starting to make a non-normal noise, and i want to give it a rest for a few days.

does anyone know if the brushes inside the motor are replaceable or not?

shaf
08-22-2004, 05:05 PM
Try a 5" backing plate and a 6" counterweight. Best combo.

Douxebris
08-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Brian,

What`s the largest pad you`ve tried with the 5" plate? I`ve wanted to step up to the 7.5", but wasn`t sure if this would be a good thing.

Thanks

Antonio Wright
08-22-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Laughhunn

Brian,

What`s the largest pad you`ve tried with the 5" plate? I`ve wanted to step up to the 7.5", but wasn`t sure if this would be a good thing.

Thanks

It is not. The highest you should go is a the 6 inch. If you want 7.5" get the 6" plate.

flyinhigh
08-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Try a 5" backing plate and a 6" counterweight. Best combo.

Yeah Yeah ,what he said,I use the 6inch counterweight with my Sonus pads :xyxthumbs

Who`s hands are getting numb :nixweiss man I can use mine all day and then some .

AdamCKach
08-29-2004, 01:29 PM
Thanks folks. I`ve been using the `stock` 5 inch counterweight, and at high speeds, my hands felt numb after use. I`ll kick it up to the 6 inch counterweight I bought.

doublel
08-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by AdamCKach

Thanks folks. I`ve been using the `stock` 5 inch counterweight, and at high speeds, my hands felt numb after use. I`ll kick it up to the 6 inch counterweight I bought.

You will be amazed at the difference, much better. I originally bought the CMA package a little over a year ago. It was the 7424 which included the 5 inch counterweight and 6 inch polishing pad. Recently it began to have problems electronically, the off/on switch was randomly taking two tries to come on and the speed dial was only working on speed 6 and speed 4. I know it`s about to die totally and I have to take it to get serviced, but didn`t have time to wait the week they quoted me between details, so I went and bought the 7336 at Lowes with the 6 inch counterweight. :eek: WOW :eek: what a difference. This setup is much much smoother with much less vibration. I was also going thru pads much faster than I thought I should. I think your pads should last longer. I could blow through pads real quick which I think was related to the vibration especially on speed 6. Just did a pretty extensive polish with my new 7336 PC on a BMW 325i with massive swirls and holograms on the hood, and my pads showed no wear or tear and it came out great.

JasonD
08-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Where can I buy a 6" counterweight?

SilverBelle04
08-29-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Laughhunn

In my best Foghorn Leghorn voice...

"That`s a JOKE, there, Son, don`t ya get it?".

Yes, my PC only goes to 6.

Jeff Laughhunn

LOL - i could hear Foghorn saying it.

Bob

JasonD
08-29-2004, 05:33 PM
I just found the 6" counterweight from Coastal, and it`s only $1.95 but the shipping is $7.50 :scared Is there anywhere else I can get one of these without having to pay such high shipping charges??

SilverBelle04
08-29-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

I just found the 6" counterweight from Coastal, and it`s only $1.95 but the shipping is $7.50 :scared Is there anywhere else I can get one of these without having to pay such high shipping charges??

Look for a Porter Cable Service Centre in your area. Tha`ts where i bought mine.

Bob