PDA

View Full Version : Clay doesn`t remove wax?

Corey Bit Spank
08-22-2004, 02:51 AM
Hm. I clayed my car, then rinsed it (it was beading so well, i figured why dry it and start over)...anyway.

To my surprise, it beaded up just as well as it did before I clayed. :o

Not a huge problem. But I did have EX-P, Blackfire x2, and #16 x 2 on there so maybe it`s just holding up that well? I don`t know. Always thought clay removed wax--guess you learn something new each day.

C-MDX
08-22-2004, 03:35 AM
It depends on the aggressivness of your clay bar. Which clay bar did you used??

imported_memnuts
08-22-2004, 04:37 AM
What did you use as a lube?

jimmybuffit
08-22-2004, 05:32 AM
I always ASSUME that the claybar will remove any and all protection. In fact, I expect a properly clayed surface to sheet water, with no breaks. If it doesn`t, I clay more...

Jim

Accumulator
08-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Oh boy, this is one of "those topics"....some of us (myself included) find that claying (very gently with mild clay) does not remove an appreciable amount of most LSPs. Others claim that when they do it it always strips things back to bare paint. Some clay sellers say one, others say the other. As I recall, Sal Zaino took the middle ground and said that it removes half a layer of Zaino. There`s no real consensus of opinion, perhaps because there are so many variables.

See what happens when *you* do it. If you`re worried, add some more LSP.

But IMO if a single claying cut through " EX-P, Blackfire x2, and #16 x 2", then you`d be doing your claying *very, very* aggressively/wrong.

Searching on this topic will bring up all kinds of :argue threads.

Mr. Chemist
08-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Does anybody clay their car and then NOT wax or seal? Although I don`t have any scientific poof...it just seems to me that after I clay..the surface is longing to be polished and waxed....particularly if it is a darker color...it feels smooth and looks good...but just doesnt have that pop.

Corey Bit Spank
08-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Heh, you people are so great. :D

It`s cblue magic blue bar. And the bar is considerably dirty after claying the whole car, so I know it worked (the paint is smooth too).

But I guess I`d have to agree with the "if it did cut through <insert frankenstein list of products I used on my car> here," then that clay mysterously had solvents in it that could break down a lot of the wax, but if it`s only slightly abrassive then most of my wax was still on the paint.

:)

Accumulator
08-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Chemist

Does anybody clay their car and then NOT wax or seal? Although I don`t have any scientific poof...it just seems to me that after I clay..the surface is longing to be polished and waxed....particularly if it is a darker color...it feels smooth and looks good...but just doesnt have that pop.

Aha, I think I see where what`s happening here....we might be on different wavelengths. It`s not like you guys at Mother`s, one of the biggest clay sellers around, don`t know from the effects of claying, just as it`s not like I can`t tell what`s happening on my vehicles after decades of doing this stuff and maybe ten years or so (I forget just when I started using "non-overspray" clay) of spot-claying with every wash.

The only time I clay without polishing/waxing/sealing is when I already have a good layer (or more, but that`s a different topic ;) ) of my LSP on there. If I notice *any* detrimental effects from the claying, I do whatever`s called for to correct them, which might simply mean refreshing my LSP. FWIW, I keep up my LSPs to where my vehicles never really "need" waxing in a discernable way. Well, except for the MPV where I`m trying to wait until the Klasse really *needs* redoing, which just isn`t happening :nixweiss

Heh heh, we sure do give this topic plenty of consideration :cool: