PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Maintenance

zey
08-21-2004, 09:32 PM
Any of you using matte finish wheel? How about rough surface type of wheel? I know for clearcoated wheel, I maintain it the same way as maintaining the body paint. If I ever polish the matte finish/rough surface wheel, will I make the surface become damaged (glossier)? How do I clay rough surface wheel just in case there`s paint overspray? Thanks!

Accumulator
08-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Unless you use something awfully aggressive, I don`t think you`ll change matte to polished. So just go easy with mild products that do *not* contain any strong abrasives. It`s never been a problem for me, at least. Watch that you don`t use products that (reallY) leave a white residue either, it can be tough to get every last bit of product out of the texture. It`s been a while since I`ve dealt with wheels like this and the products I used (such as Pinnacle`s Creme Glaze) aren`t around any more so I can`t give you a specific recommendation.

When claying such surfaces, just use plenty of lube so the clay doesn`t stick. If it does, just use some cleaner to get it off (maybe 3M Adhesive Remover or something like that). Do a limited area first so you can tell how it`s gonna work out.

zey
08-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Accumulator, I`m actually referring to the Volks Racing TE-37 wheels. It has rough texture on the spokes and matte finish on the rim. For tar removing, can I use Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover? Do I still need to wax the wheels eventhough it has rough texture? Thanks!

Alex Creasey
08-25-2004, 07:03 AM
One of my mates had bronze TE-37`s on his R34.... We`d use wheel cleaning products, clay and even some sort of top coat (something that doesn`t dry white anyway), and he never had any problems.

What we wouldn`y use was any kind of abrasive as the finish is more of an anodised effect than a painted finish...If you know what I mean....

Cheers :).

Accumulator
08-25-2004, 11:38 AM
zey- What Alex Creasey said :xyxthumbs

zey
08-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Big thank you to Accumulator and Alex Creasey. Now both of you have solved my doubts and questions. :xyxthumbs

zey
08-31-2004, 08:04 AM
Guys, I`ve got an email reply from a personnel working at Rays Wheels (Japan). This is how it goes:

Hi Zey,

Thanks for your mail.

Please wash your wheels using water & mild soap only. Please do NOT use any

commercial cleaners or waxes which include "compound materials". That is all

you need to maintain your wheels.

Best regards,

Kenji

From the above reply, can I still use EO A2Z? The reason I ask this is because at the back of the wheel, the surface is too rough, I`m pretty sure lotsa dirt will be trapped there. I intend to use sponge to apply the A2Z instead of letting it to soak on the surface. As for drying, I think using a cloth to dab-dry would be better else the rough surface will trap lotsa cloth lint. What do you think? Thanks!

forrest@mothers
08-31-2004, 09:24 AM
Based on his reply, I would NOT use A2Z or any other wheel cleaner - just soap and water.

Bill D
08-31-2004, 09:30 AM
Frequent washing and very regular wipe downs ( I wipe mine almost every day :o) ought to cut back on the dust on the backs of the wheels, requiring the use of nothing more than soap and water and clay. The use of A2Z will probably be unnecessary. Don;t forget to apply a good protectant like the Klasse twins, Zaino or Mothers CCWP :up

zey
08-31-2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks forrest, what if I want to remove some stubborn brake dust? How about road tar? Thanks.