PDA

View Full Version : New to Zaino, need some help

Pages : [1] 2

zesty-man
08-21-2004, 07:27 PM
today i just bought my very first zaino products, z2 + zfx. ive used lots of other products before, like poorboys, megs, VM, balh blah blah, but ive heard that z2 offers unrivaled durability, which i want for my mom`s daily driver. so anyway, i was wondering, what steps do i have to take? i know you have to use dawn, but i dont really like the idea. also, i know you have to use clay, but i havve only poorboys clay............ would it be ok if i used my regluar wash, and my regular clay???

also, the distributor in hawaii was trying to sell me some z1. however, i already have some menzerna FP II, that contains no fillers etc etc. should i go back and get some z1, or can i stick with FP II?

about z2 and zfx, about how many layers should i be putting on? also, what kinda applicator should i be using??? im thinking of using ranney`s mf app. and a question final about z6..... should i buy some of it, or can i stick with poorboys S&W, and does it come in some kinda gallon size???

thanks

kartoon
08-21-2004, 08:10 PM
Wash with carwash soap, polish with whatever you like.

If you want to be sure wipe down with 50/50 IPA mixture, apply up to 3 coats Z2+ZFX, done.

You don`t need Zaino clay, use any kind you have (FYI, Mother`s clay bar is exactly the same as Zaino). You don`t need Z6 although it is a nice QD. You don`t need Z7 although it`s a really nice car wash.

I find the foam applicators (by hand) work great.

imported_Terry
08-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by kartoon

Wash with carwash soap, polish with whatever you like.

If you want to be sure wipe down with 50/50 IPA mixture, apply up to 3 coats Z2+ZFX, done.

You don`t need Zaino clay, use any kind you have (FYI, Mother`s clay bar is exactly the same as Zaino). You don`t need Z6 although it is a nice QD. You don`t need Z7 although it`s a really nice car wash.

I find the foam applicators (by hand) work great. His suggestions are right on:up

imported_memnuts
08-22-2004, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Terry

His suggestions are right on:up

I agree with kartoon.

I like MF pads for application. Moisten with water or Z6. I suggest getting some Z6 if nothing more than for application and post washing QD`ing. The price difference for a average locally available QD and Z6. Since you have a local distribution it is worth it.:xyxthumbs

RedondoV6
08-22-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by zesty-man

today i just bought my very first zaino products, z2 + zfx. ive used lots of other products before, like poorboys, megs, VM, balh blah blah, but ive heard that z2 offers unrivaled durability, which i want for my mom`s daily driver. so anyway, i was wondering, what steps do i have to take? i know you have to use dawn, but i dont really like the idea. also, i know you have to use clay, but i havve only poorboys clay............ would it be ok if i used my regluar wash, and my regular clay???

also, the distributor in hawaii was trying to sell me some z1. however, i already have some menzerna FP II, that contains no fillers etc etc. should i go back and get some z1, or can i stick with FP II?

about z2 and zfx, about how many layers should i be putting on? also, what kinda applicator should i be using??? im thinking of using ranney`s mf app. and a question final about z6..... should i buy some of it, or can i stick with poorboys S&W, and does it come in some kinda gallon size???

thanks

Zesty: Wash, clay and polish with your existing products. Personally I like to wash again after FP2 to make sure any residues are gone. Go ahead and use the MF applicator and MF towels to wipe off. Go at least 3 layers but not more than 6, You may not notice much improvement in the looks after the third layer but IMHO the additional layers do add to durability. Just remember to apply the Z2 in VERY thin layers.

Z7 is a very good wash, I`d recommend you buy some when your existing wash runs out and do think about buying Z6, it really does help with the durability and looks of Z2 over time. I dilute my Z6 2:1 with distilled water.

Good luck! Let us know how you get along with your mom`s car!

Later...

zesty-man
08-22-2004, 01:37 PM
thanks for the help guys! so FP II is compatible with zaino?

RedondoV6
08-22-2004, 02:35 PM

thanks for the help guys! so FP II is compatible with zaino?

Zesty: Yes, in fact I purchased FP2 to use with Zaino because it does not contain fillers/wax etc. which Zaino claim interfer with Z2`s bonding and durability.

Let us know if you have any problems and good luck!

zesty-man
08-22-2004, 09:01 PM
it was weird, as i was talking to the zaino dealer, he kept insisting that i not use FP II. after a while, it was getting repeative and annoying. it was like he was pressuring me to buy more stuff........... maybe sometime down the road ill give z1 a chance.

also, is it a necessity that you wash with dawn?? i hate the idea of doing that....

l33
08-22-2004, 09:10 PM
it`s not necessary to wash with dawn, FPII will remove anything under it. What product was the zaino dealer pushing instead of FP2?

RedondoV6
08-22-2004, 09:14 PM

it was weird, as i was talking to the zaino dealer, he kept insisting that i not use FP II. after a while, it was getting repeative and annoying. it was like he was pressuring me to buy more stuff........... maybe sometime down the road ill give z1 a chance.

also, is it a necessity that you wash with dawn?? i hate the idea of doing that....

Zesty: You do not need Z1 if you have ZFX. Using ZFX replaces the need to lay down a layer of Z1 before you apply Z2. Just mix Z2 and ZFX per the instructions and apply to the paint.

I`d strongly advise that you do use FPII before you apply any Zaino. Zaino is a great finish but it will highlight any minor swirls, spiderwebs etc. in your paint, you need to polish out any defects before applying the Zaino, FPII will do this for you.

zesty-man
08-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by L33

it`s not necessary to wash with dawn, FPII will remove anything under it. What product was the zaino dealer pushing instead of FP2?

he wanted me to get some kinda zaino polish, but i already told him that i had FP II, and he didnt have a clue about what it was. form what i saw, he didnt have much. all he had was zaino, and some other stuff that you can get locally. also, he had a couple of pretty filthy mf apps, and a waffle weave, but i said nothing about it.

also, it seemed that he really wanted me to get some z6, saying that people literally buy it by the cases. am i able to use poorboys S & W with a zaino finish?

oh, one more thing. he kept insisting that i use "zaino clay", or mothers. the last time i used mothers, i hated it............................ also, he said that i should clay a certain way. being that im a teenager, i guess he sorta viewed me as "new to the busness", and naive etc etc.

RedondoV6
08-23-2004, 04:21 AM

he wanted me to get some kinda zaino polish, but i already told him that i had FP II, and he didnt have a clue about what it was. form what i saw, he didnt have much. all he had was zaino, and some other stuff that you can get locally. also, he had a couple of pretty filthy mf apps, and a waffle weave, but i said nothing about it.

also, it seemed that he really wanted me to get some z6, saying that people literally buy it by the cases. am i able to use poorboys S & W with a zaino finish?

oh, one more thing. he kept insisting that i use "zaino clay", or mothers. the last time i used mothers, i hated it............................ also, he said that i should clay a certain way. being that im a teenager, i guess he sorta viewed me as "new to the busness", and naive etc etc.

Zesty: Don`t worry, you did the right thing. Zaino do not make a polish, just Z5 which is a sealant like Z2, it is supposed to fill in small imperfections but I (and others on Autopia) find it is not very effective. You need to use a true polish before applying the Zaino to get a really good result. If you need any advice on this do a search, there are plenty of threads which discuss paint preparation.

On the clay, well this is just my opinion, Zaino clay didn`t do it for me and I will not be buying it again. The bar I received was hard as a rock, I had to microwave it to get it soft enough to use! I use Clay Magic now and I`m happier with it. Again, do a search here at Autopia on Clay or Z18, there are plenty of threads which discuss clay, Z18 and how to use clay.

Can`t help you on the PB S&W question, I haven`t tried it myself but I do like the Z6 spray a lot, which I use sometimes after washing to enhance the shine and renew the Z2.

audio1der
08-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Z does seem to be sortof of "conspiracy product" that you`re supposed to use it as a system- agreed. but it works better if you do.

I would`nt advise trying their clay as I also had a negative experience with it, but as for the Z6- it is even better than you`d imagine. It really does enhance the gloss as well as just being a great QD.

I have not used Z7, but have heard it also replenishes and helps prolong the shine.

A lot of people on the board here don`t care for Z, as there are lots of products that give a more natural, warm look to a vehicle. None compares to Z as far as durability though.

I use several coats of Z as a base for protection, with various carnauba toppers just for looks.

Good luck!:xyxthumbs

zesty-man
08-23-2004, 11:34 PM
heres my plan.......... ill use z2 sorta like a base, because of all of its durability, and probably top it with something.

also, a question. would FP II be considered a "true polish"?

RedondoV6
08-24-2004, 04:52 AM

heres my plan.......... ill use z2 sorta like a base, because of all of its durability, and probably top it with something.

also, a question. would FP II be considered a "true polish"?

Zesty: FPII is a good finishing polish designed to maximize the paints gloss before waxing. It is nice to use with Zaino because , unlike some other polishes, it does not contain fillers or waxes which might interfer with the Zaino bonding with the paint. What FPII will not do is to remove many swirls or other paint imperfections. Depending on the condition of your paint now you may need to use a more aggressive polish before using the FPII.

It`s normally a good idea to use the mildest polish you can, if your paint is already in good condition, you may want to just stick to using FPII and see what results you get. What does your paint look like now, is it in good condition? What tools are you going to be using to apply and work the polish?