PDA

View Full Version : How do you get those neat-looking brush marks in the carpets?

imported_JellyBean
08-20-2004, 10:05 PM
The picture below shows the effect that i want to achieve. I tried the obvious--brushing--but I didn`t get anything resembling those results. What kind of brush or tool do you use? How did you use that brush or tool? Thanks for this wonderful forum. I`ve gotten the detailing bug from y`all and the wife is now afraid to stand still else I PC and polish her too.

Intercooled
08-20-2004, 10:14 PM
Making those lines in the carpeting is what I guess your talking about. Its all in the stroke of the vacum. Moving the pile in different directions. Some of the newer carpeting in cars has such a low pile that it may difficult or impossible to achieve.

tpgsr
08-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Those marks are generally made after the carpet is shampoo`d that way it has some moisture in the fibers that allows them to move to the desired direction. If you want to do it without shampooing, just mist some water on it, and vacuum back and forth making the lines. It is pretty simple really

imported_series1
08-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Yeah the marks you see people posting pics of are because of their vacuum. The marks will also depend on how the nozzle of the vacuum is shaped.

Scottwax
08-20-2004, 11:42 PM
While the mats or carpets are still slightly damp, I take a small, plastic bristle brush and brush the carpet all in one direction, then go in the opposite direction about 3" apart to make the patterns.

You can experiment with different patterns too, like diagonally.

imported_JellyBean
08-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks folks. I`ll try the misting and brushing trick. Again, thanks for these and all your other contributions in this forum.

potomac
08-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Vacuuming will get you that desired effect, but it will go away as soon as someon steps on the carpet.

imported_mirrorfinishman
08-22-2004, 05:41 PM
I like to use a small hand held nylon whisk broom after vacuuming. I always try to brush the carpet in the single direction that gives the best appearance.

imported_JellyBean
08-29-2004, 11:11 PM
Mist and brush did it. Today I detailed our Odyssey`s interior and the brush pattern was a great finishing touch. I shampooed the carpet and floor mats, dried it,then misted and brushed it, and got the patterns that I sought. Thanks ya`ll.

BoxsterCharlie
08-30-2004, 10:27 AM
I`m surprised no one remembered this thread from the Museum:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13844

However, it looks like the pictures went away, and it is tough to see without the pictures. :(

Bill D
08-30-2004, 10:36 AM
I think I recall some judges in serious shows liking the nap of the carpet laying entirely in one direction so a brush would be needed to accomplish that. Without the photos I`m unsure exactly what brush was used. I have fluffed up the nap of carpet using my steamer and then used a plain old clean scrub brush to achieve the nap all in the same direction look.

Option 13
08-30-2004, 10:49 AM
I read a thread not long ago about how to achieve a checkerboard pattern by brushing.

Kinda interesting. It would probably look really good in the back of an SUV where there is a large open area of carpet.

Regards,