PDA

View Full Version : Can I Hurt My leather??

Pages : [1] 2

layer3switchguy
08-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Hi folks,

I love the smell of the Zaino Leather Conditioner and would like to use it often to enhance the leather aroma in my cars. My question is, can I hurt my leather with repeated (weekly or so) use? Both cars are German if that means anything.

I also bought the Wolfang leather care products as well. Again, any issue with repeated use of their conditioner?

Thanks,

L3

imported_BretFraz
08-20-2004, 05:57 PM
I can`t speak for WG products but I know Zaino`s conditioner is very mild and will not damage treated (coated) or untreated leather.

If you have nappa leather (M series, for example) be sure to apply the product to an app *before* applying it to the leather. This goes for any leather care product.

If you have treated (coated) leather, excess product will just sit on the clearcoat and either evaporate or be removed by your clothing.

Dennis H.
08-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Stay away from the stitching with that high of use.

Mr. Chemist
08-20-2004, 06:24 PM
If the purpose of the application is to have the vehicle smell like leather, I would suggest an air freshener with that scent.

I am a firm believer in treating leather PRN

imported_mirrorfinishman
08-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Sometimes, the less you do with leather, as far as applying leather treatments, the better.

imported_Blake
08-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Sounds like you want the aroma more than the treatment. Suggest you put some on a piece of cloth and put it under the front seat. Weekly has to be way too often as far a a leather treatment is concerned.

layer3switchguy
08-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks everyone... Found a lether scent that I plan to put on a sponge and leave in the car.

Regards,

L3

Sveta
08-23-2004, 06:24 PM
Yankee Candle air freshner company makes "Leather". Someone said hang in trunk because it`s pretty strong.:nixweiss Try Bed Bath and Beyond.

I currently am using Zaino`s leather conditioner applied with bare hand and trying stay away from excess on stitches.

imported_mirrorfinishman
08-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by MartyGrant

Yankee Candle air freshner company makes "Leather". Someone said hang in trunk because it`s pretty strong.

Hanging an air freshener in the trunk is a good idea. Sometimes they can be a bit overpowering when they`re inside the vehicle.

layer3switchguy
08-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Thanks again. I did find the Yankee Candle leather scented air freshener, and yes, it is powerful!:eek:

jimmybuffit
08-23-2004, 09:55 PM
The OEM folks have you snagged in their marketing!

There are three kinds of leather in autos produced today. 99% are (P) Protected Leather. If you have (N) NuBuck, read your owner`s manual. If you have the Ford "King Ranch", read the Owner`s Manual.

Otherwise, you have leather that is treated, and painted, with an acrylic based (plastic) agent that provides a smooth and contiguous look. You don`t really think the cows have tan/grey/black leather, right?

Since the seats are completely coated with a plastic (go ahead, do your due diligence), would not a quality protectorant, like 303, be the best choice? Works in my shop.

Jim

imported_Lawdog
08-24-2004, 07:54 AM
I`ve been to two BB and Bs and two Yankee Candle stores, and none of htem have the leather scent. The gal at Yankee Candle said they are so back ordered, they can`t get them. You guys hogging them all or what?

jasonmac
08-24-2004, 09:07 AM
I like the Griot`s Leather scent:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11150

and I use 303 Protectant as well, works great.

Sveta
08-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit

Since the seats are completely coated with a plastic (go ahead, do your due diligence), would not a quality protectorant, like 303, be the best choice? Works in my shop.

Jim

Wow, Jim. Say it ain`t so!

I thought SOME of the conditioner gets through the "plastic"...like it was slightly porous or something.

In other words using Zaino, Lexol, Leatherique, etc. leather cleaning and conditioning products are really doing nothing and are pretty much a waste of money. The only leather product that is getting through is at the stitches, if that. These are my words, I know, but is that what you are saying?

I for one would be very happy to know that basic cleaning and 303 is the better thing to do. Please respond.

Dennis H.
08-25-2004, 06:33 PM
The protective cover over most leather is very thin and should not be considered the same as vinyl or rubber.