PDA

View Full Version : Wenol

Pages : [1] 2

ro347
08-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Has anyone ever used wenol? What did you think?

I am thinking of purchasing all 3....red blue and pink. I have factory alloy wheels that are in desperate need of renewed shine and deep luster. I plan on first using some Blue Magic cleaner, applied w/ 4" pad via PC. Work that in real good till its very clean and all black residue is gone, then apply the wenol products and sealant.

Any feed back is appreciated...thanks...have a great weekend.:xyxthumbs

Dennis H.
08-20-2004, 11:31 AM
What kind of factory alloys are they?

Spilchy
08-20-2004, 11:49 AM
This is Wenol Red on my family`s bronze candlesticks. I did not follow up with Wenol Blue. I simply used a terry cloth and the Wenol by hand. That`s it. HUGE improvement and great shine. With Wenol Blue, it would be even better.

Notice the difference between the two. A century of oxidation came off! The pic may be a tad blurry and cast a shadow, but you get an idea of the power of just Wenol Red by hand.

I have to get around to polishing the other one and doing them true Autopia justice!

A little neat tidbit of history: They were my great, great grandmothers back in Russia, well over 100 years ago. They were used for decades for Friday night Sabbath services. (My family is Jewish). But now, they sit as a decoration and used for holidays.

Accumulator
08-20-2004, 12:12 PM
RO347- Welcome to Autopia. Yeah, I too wonder what wheels you`re referring to. Most factory alloys are clearcoated these days. Older/other ones are a different story, of course. Just don`t want to see you cut through the clear if yours have it. If not, sure, good choice. And I`m sure Dennis H. can recommend another option or two that`ll also work out great.

Spilchy- Heh heh, now you have me thinking how I really oughta be working on some of *my* family heirlooms :o Cool that those have stayed in your family through what I can guess was a long and arduous journey through history :xyxthumbs

ro347
08-20-2004, 12:16 PM
They are Honda wheels.

ro347
08-20-2004, 12:21 PM
By the way....1999 Honda Wheels....I will post before and after pics once i am done with the entire car in a week or two...

ro347
08-20-2004, 12:23 PM
Will wenol eat through clear coat?

Dennis H.
08-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Factory Honda Wheels are clear coated. I would not suggest using a metal polish on them especially different grades of aggressiveness. There is a chance the clear coat will be compromised. I suggest the least aggressive approach first. Something like Mother Clear Coat Wheel Polish or possibly a mid level paint polish first. If that doesn`t work test an area with the mildest metal polish you can find then follow up with the CCWP or Paint Polish.

Of course if the wheels have been professionally polished and are not in their factory condition you disregard the previous garble.

Dennis H.
08-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Any metal polish has the potential to breach the clear coat. It won`t eat it chemically it will rub it off abrasively. Wheel clear coats are pretty tough and can take a lot compared to other paints and coatings.

ro347
08-20-2004, 12:34 PM
What about really hitting it hard with something like blue magic..and topping off with a sealant....would that work? Is blue Magic considered abrasive.......I will post pics of the wheels later this weekend.

Thanks again for everybody`s help....

Dennis H.
08-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Yes the Blue Magic I`m familiar with is fairly aggressive. If you are getting black residue then the clear coat has most likely been previously removed. If the residue is more grayish then black then you are working with old clear coat. In addition if you are working on metal the black will appear very quickly where on clear coat it will take a few more strokes.

IMO you considering a duplication of steps with Blue Magic and Wenol. Use either of the twice, you`ll get the same results. So I guess what I am saying is if you have one of them use it, no need to buy the other.

ro347
08-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Thanks Dennis.....so 1 more question...If the clearcoat i gone.....could i just polish the wheels and add a sealant....will keeping up on the sealant keep them in good shape?

Dennis H.
08-20-2004, 01:48 PM
You sure can. IMO sealants don`t last very long and more of an exercise than a benefit. The polishing is the important part.

Deanski
08-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Wendol Red is a cutting paste metal polish high in ammonia as well. The blue one is for chrome and auto metal plated finishes.

Be VERY careful with Red Wendol, as it is very aggressive.

For fine metal polish, I`ve used Flitz for years and continue to do so as no one has made a polish like it. Review all polishes prior to using on ANY wheel you may think has a clearcoat. If it`s clearcoated, use a cleaner/polish like DACP.

If the wheels are through clearcoat, use the FLITZ. Lasts a long time.

Flitz is hard to find, but some of the online suppliers have it.

Regards,

Deanski

Pats300zx
08-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Flitz is hard to find, but some of the online suppliers have it.

You can also get it here:

Eastwood Company (http://www.eastwoodco.com)