PDA

View Full Version : problems and pc suggestions

imported_tuffluck
08-20-2004, 12:45 AM
i`m going to make a really long story very short (not very, but i`ll try). the sprinkler system in my apt complex stained my clear coat. i tried everything from clay bar to #9, but nothing took the stains out. i finally used DACP by hand and got out the stains.

unknowing of what caused the stains on my car, i parked my car again where the sprinkler hit it. the spoiler got stained, and i learned of what was causing the stains. furious, i went out to lowe`s and bought a 7336 PC. i`m actually thrilled that i bought the PC. i used the stock pad and the DACP on just a portion of my spoiler this evening. the haze and marring was instantly taken away, as well as some of the slight scratches. it was actually fun as hell in addition to the payoff!

there are still some scratches, and i even saw one or two light water spot stains remaining. so here i am now completely stumped as to what the hell was in this water to cause it to stain my clear coat? i think another pass with the PC should solve the problem, but ya never know... that`s more of a *hope* than anything.

the next issue at hand is this: i`m getting an apartment with a garage in about a month, so i`m going to wait until i get the garage to use the PC on my whole car. i`m getting anxious just waiting. i`m planning to use DACP, #9, and then follow up with nxt. any comments on that combo?

also, i need some good pads (i`m only an enthusiast, i don`t need to go all out here) and a backing plate. can someone suggest the pads i should get that will last me a while and fit all of my needs? thanks!

imported_tuffluck
08-20-2004, 12:47 AM
and i think it`s also worth adding that tonight is the first time in 2 months that autopia.org actually let me start a new post. before it let me log in, but i was totally incapable of posting anything. :mad:

togwt
08-20-2004, 07:48 AM
~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

The originator of the website DavidB has a How- to article on the PC and foam pads that you will find helpful:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html

Megs DACP/ #9 / NXT should work out fine…good luck

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

imported_Lawdog
08-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Meguiars actually recommends follwing DACP(#83) with their Swirl Free Polish(#82). I used DACP on my truck and didn`t have the 82, so I used #7, then NXT, followed two days later with GC, then yesterday with #26, and it looks fantastic. Yet I wonder what the results would have been if I had stepped down properly and used the #82 prior to the #7. So I bought some yesterday. Oh shoot, now I may have to do the whole thing over again:eek:

6']['9
08-20-2004, 09:35 AM
i didnt think the 82 does much. i did the84 83 82 81 nxt and the next day the swirls came back it may have been a user problem but im going to keep trying and if all else fails ill see what i can do about getting my $ back. im going to give the meguiars line the benefit of the doubt that they work ( well they do for everyone else) but its probably a user problem and i dont want to admitt it :(

Accumulator
08-20-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by 6`][`9

... im going to give the meguiars line the benefit of the doubt that they work ( well they do for everyone else) but its probably a user problem and i dont want to admitt it :(

If the swirls came back then they were just hidden by the #81. Try to get stuff perfect *before* using that.

And I wouldn`t be too hesitant to try different products and find what works for *you*. You`re not the only person who finds the #83/#82 to be less than optimal *for them* ;) It`s great to work on perfecting your technique, but there`s no point in struggling with a product just because other people like it.

HeavyChevyBoy
08-20-2004, 11:26 AM
tuffluck,

I use my pc with a yellow cutting pad (DACP or Meg Premium Paint Cleaner) also an orange pad will help for very bad scratches. I will also recommend to get the 4 inch pads from Classic Motoring Accessories it`s been my work horse for 2 weeks now (orange and white pads 4" and there 3.5 flexible backing plate) Oh, get 2 of the yellow pads and 2 white pads since you will be using them all the time especially if you are going to work on a few cars (like friends cars, wife, gf).

Combo# 1

Clay, DACP (orange or yellow pad, PC dial at 4500 rpm), # 9 (white pad, PC 4500 rpm, then NXT (with gray pad at 1000 rpm).

Combo #2

Clay, Meg Premium paint cleaner, Klasse AIO, SG (wait 24 hrs to cure or do the Bill North technique), then P21S carnauba wax.

Hope this help

Note: DACP, Meg`s Gold Class wax, Hi-tech Yellow wax will leave a white haze on your black trim make sure to use masking tape.

AIO, NXT are pretty safe. Not sure about Meg`s Premium paint cleaner.

Ricky

imported_tuffluck
08-20-2004, 11:45 AM
awesome. thanks for the tips guys. i was pretty impressed with what the DACP did all by it`s lonesome for my swirls. and this was with the stock pad on setting 4. i`m sure if i had put a little more effort into it, the outcome would be spectacular. on your combo #1, where would i be able to get those pads and backing plates? thanks!

imported_tuffluck
08-20-2004, 02:40 PM
ok, here is what i`m thinking:

for pads:

http://www.topoftheline.com/lake-country-polisher-pads.html

or these?

http://www.topoftheline.com/7durvelpad.html

what`s the difference in the two? which should i be getting?

and for the backing plate, should i get the 6" that topoftheline offers, or should i get the 5" that autopia offers? i really don`t know...i heard that if i do the 6", i will need to change the counterweight. ...help...

hirosh
08-21-2004, 05:57 AM
try checking this post on PC and pads

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14421

as far as pads goes, pretty much all the pads offered by the autopia-store, CMA, and autogeek are made by Lake Country, well except the Sonus pads at the autopia-store. i would suggest getting one of those pad kits as it comes with the things you need to start with: a backing plate, and a few pads, and depending on the retailer, accessories like a wool pad or bonnet which you don`t really need.

as you detail and gain experience, you`ll figure out what pads you need.

and you don`t need to change the counterweight as your 7336 model comes with the 6" counterweight.

have fun with your PC! :wavey