PDA

View Full Version : Top-off Glanz with #26 or wax glaze or both?

Audi Junkie
08-19-2004, 11:56 PM
Just wondering if I can use my #26 over the Glanz. I tend to think yes, no abrasives, but I don`t want to *replace* the Glanz with it. I will wait a week to cure, probally 2 coats of Glanz, 3 on the hood. A coat of #26 and the wax glaze on top (it can wear off, I don`t care) I am not into detail spray, I maintain a lot of family cars in harsh weather (NE-PA) I did buy the NXT wash, it says use to prep for NXT wax, but I will just use normal Dupont Wash.

So: Dawn, Clay, Mother`s paint prep (lightly), Dupont Wash, Glanz, wait, Glanz, #26, glaze.

Sound good? Car is a 1998 Audi, Catcus Green (medium) with good paint (fresh hood). I have no swirls.

imported_Macgirl
08-20-2004, 12:17 AM
You shouldn`t need to apply more than one coat of 1Z Glanz Wax. Any more and you`re just wasting product, Glanz has a solvent content that acts as a carrier for the wax polymers. Once the solvent evaporates you buff and it`s ready. You can however, layer #26 over the Glanz if you wish. You would also want to use your "glaze" before you apply a last step product or wax/sealant. The glaze acts to fill-in and hide swirls while giving you a very wet-looking finish.

Hope I`ve helped some. Check out the "Learn" link above or download the Autopia eBook "Guide to Detailing" (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/lib/autopia/mendiraftery) for more in depth info. Oh, the eBook is a Windows executible file, double-click to open and then register to unlock all the chapters....it`s free info.

Audi Junkie
08-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Thanks. I have a bunch of #26 laying around, so topping the Glanz with it is a good plan for me. I will tuck the glaze over the 1st coat of #26 and under the 2nd. Thanks.

So now it`s: Dawn, clay, Polish, Dupont Wash, Glanz, wait, #26, glaze, #26.

I had to look around for my post as I originally placed it into the normal detailing forum. I don`t consider myself or the question to be noob-ish. I looked at the discourse on the detail forum, nothing made me believe my question was any different than others. Oh well, I guess it`s a seperate forum for noobs. Did not see my specific question covered in search or detail guide. Kinda confusing to have 2 forums for the same thing. Does not really make me want to participate further. :down

TortoiseAWD
08-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Audi Junkie

I had to look around for my post as I originally placed it into the normal detailing forum. I don`t consider myself or the question to be noob-ish. I looked at the discourse on the detail forum, nothing made me believe my question was any different than others. Oh well, I guess it`s a seperate forum for noobs. Did not see my specific question covered in search or detail guide. Kinda confusing to have 2 forums for the same thing. Does not really make me want to participate further. :down From the sticky at the top of the Detailing Forum (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13595):
When you first join Autopia, you are given the title "Apprentice". You may be an experienced detailer already, but we like everyone to earn their stripes. Until you graduate from "Apprentice" to "Enthusiast" (after 30 posts), we would appreciate you keeping your questions in the Autopia University (AU) area. If you want to participate in a discussion outside AU, that`s okay, but all apprentice questions should be in Autopia University section. Moderators will move posts that do not comply.Having a post moved to AU is not a punishment; sorry if you see it that way.

Tort

(moderator)

Audi Junkie
08-20-2004, 11:38 PM
Sigh. I hate to complain but I don`t see the point of dividing forums based on the number of posts. I can understand a special place for new-noobies like my buddy who dry-washes his car with a towel. I cannot see rather technical questions buried along with the dumkoffs, just because the author has not "earned stripes". I see forum users who babble every thought, like chatting....they do indeed build #s of posts and "earn their stripes". You guys should understand that all noobs will need a few posts to clarify a purchase or technique, but 30 posts? As someone becomes a member, they are motivated just to get the best info and they also spent some effort to join-up. Keeping in touch with others and earning 30 posts is entirely different. Maybe that is the difference in the Forums, one for regular users and one for post-n-go members??? Maybe I am wrong, I`m just trying to understand why the same info would be divided into 2 forums.:nixweiss

For the Record- I spent a lot of time using search and reading before posting, a model member.

PS sorry I missed the info on the sticky. did not really expect my post to be problematic.