PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go from #83 DACP?

Setec Astronomy
08-19-2004, 02:03 PM
I`m working on my 14 yo GM clearcoat. It still looks good from a distance, but up close, it is scratched and seriously etched (birds, acid rain?). I tried about 3 passes with my PC on 5 with a Meg`s yellow pad and DACP, but that didn`t really touch it. A couple passes with a red pad (7006) finally made a difference, but not much.

The paint is pretty bad on this car (the etching is deep and isn`t going to come out). I`m not doing this to restore the car, just `cuz I want to, so I don`t want to go to a rotary or anything, just want to get the best result I can with a PC.

Is there a more aggressive pad/compound combo that I can use? Or should I just spend a lot of time going over and over it with the red pad and DACP?

6']['9
08-19-2004, 02:15 PM
cma orange pads work well with most TOL products like light/med/heavy cut also with IP. i dont think the red pad is as aggressive or you could go edge green/yellow with IP or LC

Accumulator
08-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Yeah, you might look into TOL`s house brand and Hi-Temp products, but I wouldn`t try to get a 14 year old paint job too close to perfect; I`d worry about cutting too deeply. Especially when you mention "etching"- taking that out would be awfully aggressive work and I wouldn`t do it in your case. It`s only original once.