PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Customer Treatment

Pages : [1] 2 3

G35stilez
10-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Ok, so some of you may remember a few vehicles I did over the summer. White Chevy Pickup, Champagne RX300, and `73 Yellow Camaro SS. I did them for my mechanic of 15+ years (started as my dad`s mechanic). Very nice guy and very helpful. He used to detail and still sticks by his old school techniques. He gave me a lot of his tips that he used to use while I was detailing his vehicles, such as:

"Drive the car, then detail the rims...The heat helps get them cleaner"

"It`s carnauba wax (liquid) so you know it`s really strong"

"Use 2 coats of wax right after the other for more protection"

"Use Wesley`s Bleach-White on my white letters instead of your stuff, it`s the best out there"

"Silicone dressings are soo much better than water-based in all applications"

so on and so forth....

I took his constructive criticism and used his reccomended methods, even though I knew better.

Now, he was very pleased with my detailing and offered to hand my cards out to his regular customers that he used to detail for.

I get a call from one customer last night and he wants his 93 Camry and 99 4Runner detailed. He definately knows a couple things about detailing and asked a lot of questions to be informed about my work. He said I wouldn`t have even called you unless I spoke to Steve (my mechanic) because I value my cars and I know how many garbage detailers are out there.

Now here is the dilemma...He brought up how Steve "needed" to give me some pointers on how to do some things. He stands by Steve`s methods (2 coats of wax, etc etc) and would like me to exercise them.

The question is, should I do as he pleases or try to explain the benefits of paint sealants, water-based dressings, so on and so forth? I don`t want to burn any bridges if this gets back to my mechanic.

Just thought I`d ask incase my thoughts were on a narrow-minded course.

BTW: I was planning on explaining how sealants > waxes for protection since he only likes to have his vehicles done every 6 months and how water-based dressings have improved for longevity, UV inhibitors, etc.

Thanks for any advice in advance. :)

maecrispy
10-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Just a couple thoughts...

When I run into customers like that, I first try to educate. It`s tricky though since how you do that depends on the customer. Some respond to a lot of tech talk, even if it`s clear they have no clue. Others want me to keep it simple and if I get to tech, they get suspicious and think I`m trying to confuse them. The first few minutes with a customer usually gives me an idea about what type they are.

If education doesn`t work, then you have to follow the rule that the customer is always right. If they won`t budge, I do what they want me to do. If what they want me to do will take more time, I`m up front and tell them I`ll have to charge them more.

Finally, the rule that overrides all... if what they want will result in noticeably poor work, I just won`t do it and I`ll turn down the job.

After all, it`s your reputation on the line....

JaredPointer
10-21-2004, 04:18 PM
I can give you a customer based viewpoint on this, as I am not a pro and I don`t "deal" with customers in the same since you do. I would like for you to be honest with me. For one, after seeing your car (which is a very good advertisement), I would like for you to make mine look like yours. You telling me how you do it to your personal vehicle would carry a lot of weight with me. I think if you are honest, and explain to your customers what you believe and practice would take you a long way.

By no means sacrifice you work and integrity for fear of angering your custome ror mechanic. I understand he has cleaned a car or two in his time, but think of it this way...You let him work on your car without telling him how to do it. I think he should let you perform your trade without his direction.

Again, I am no pro, but as a customer, I like to be treated honestly. From looking at your work, I could tell that you don`t need anyone "directing" you on how to perform your art.

Beemerboy
10-21-2004, 04:28 PM
I have run across this a lot in my area where the customer has gone to another detailer and asks for a similar process. I always try to educate the customer on my level of experience and the type of products that I use. Most all of them come back to me after the first time because they can see the difference in my work over others. I also take that a step further and show them and explain the difference. Show them the waxed door jambs, scrubbed wheel wells, look at the dressed spare tire, open the gas door, etc. That is what separates me from the others here. I also will do the motor if its not to bad when they have not asked about it. Love the expression on there faces when I pop the hood and they can see a clean motor.

norahcrv
10-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Well put, Jared. Excellent point on not telling an "artist" how to perform his craft!

The only thing that I would add, is that if it comes up that "your" way isn`t the way that your mechanic "used to" do it, my answer would be that while you appreciate the start he gave you, you have since further educated yourself, and you think the results speak for themselves.

Norah

rollman
10-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Sean
All of the advice so far is good advice. I beleive its important to educate your customers , in the case of your customer that knows somewhat about detailing its even more important to educate them about the new products and the ever changing information in the world of car care. Do worry so much about "word" getting back to your mechanic . If it does next time you get work done to your car give him some of your "TIPS" and tell him how to fix your car , see how he likes that . I know he means well with the tips for you but times change and so we change with them .

Good luck

Jerry

SpoiledMan
10-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Just point to YOUR car and tell them what you used to make it shine like it does. If it takes more than that, pass on the deal!!;)

rollman
10-21-2004, 06:57 PM
:yeah how can your argue with the way the Teg looks :bigups

Antonio Waxer
10-21-2004, 08:50 PM
I think you have to give the customer what they want and just take the money and move on. There will be lotsa future cars to do your way.

1 Clean WS6
10-21-2004, 09:37 PM
Sean I`ll keep it sweet and simple...

My Mom gave me some great advice when I was first starting my business...she said to me "Michael...sometimes you are going to have to fire the client". I had no idea what she meant at the time but several years later (plus a few fired clients) and it all makes sense. I`ve seen your talent Sean...you don`t need a client like that...take a pass. In time the clients that do appreciate your work will recommend clients just like themselves and you`ll have more business than you can handle...and every single one of them will be GOOD clients.

Look what your know it all mechanic referred....another know it all.

G35stilez
10-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Very VERY good points here.

I am taking them all into account and I appreciate everyone`s feedback.

I am going to call the guy 1 week before I plan to do his vehicle`s. He seems like a talkative guy (10 min phone convo last night) so I will venture into speaking about my processes/products and seeing his thoughts. I will ask him about what my mechanic has reccomended and go from there.

Once again, thank you everyone for your input. :)

OI812
10-21-2004, 10:36 PM
:yeah
I am by no means a pro, but possibly not taking it might raise a red flag with him. Just my point of view, if I want somebody to do it my way and they refuse to, I usually ask why. Here is your chance to educate. It sounds like the mechanic is older than you. When they ask why say something like back then that was a good practice, but now days there are polymer sealants.....blah blah blah. IMO you haven`t bashed the mechanic and you`ve educated. I sure wouldn`t compromise my values for one job, after all it is your reputation.. Good Luck

mtodde
10-21-2004, 10:59 PM
I hate to say it, but I`d think about getting a new mechanic. I would not recommend anyone that I had "to school" on a few things to clean a bathroom. The fact that he would recommend you (nothing wrong there - we`ve seen your work) and then say that he had to teach you what to do calls the recommendation into question. Like I said, we`ve seen your work and the results speak for themself.

I would try to educate the customer and if they don`t see the logic I`d move on. Your work is good enough to get a lot of referral business...don`t lower your standards here...it could cost you down the road...I also would think that based on the mixed recommedation the potential customer would probably not realize the quality of your work and would probably thing your prices are high.

Just my 2 cents.

G35stilez
10-21-2004, 11:04 PM
The customer did comment on how much he wanted to pay last night. Based on that, I will most likely not be doing any heavy swirl removal or clay unless he agrees on paying more.

FWIW: He is a NY Police Officer...He, as most all of them, have a tough mentality. I am thinking twice about keeping my mechanic but I`m in CT most of the time anyways, so it`s not a huge deal.

I absolutely plan on educating this customer on all I have to offer. Hopefully he will see my car and be wowed or something close to it. In that case, I will go with my products and procedures.

scottlee
10-21-2004, 11:05 PM
sean since you are a mobile detailer i assume you go to the client, maybe if he is around you can show him a sample on a portion of his car to show him how good it "could look" your way, and if he isnt satisfied just srtip your product of choise and use his ? sometimes a person has to be "shown" the results ? just a thought , i would trust you with my cars anyday to do and use whatever you wanted :bigups