PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Tried 3M PI-III Extra Cut (05936)?

Accumulator
08-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Before I banish this product, I want to know if I`m just using it incorrectly. I`ve tried it by hand, Cyclo, and rotary (slow, medium, fast speeds) with different pads.

It seems to be liquid sandpaper, *lots* of marring (not micro, either); it seems like it goes from very aggressive to flashed without breaking down much, no matter how I use it. So it leaves nasty marring that`s almost as hard to get out as the scratches I was using it on!

It seems to work a lot better on ss than on b/c (as do many aggressive products), but since it`s a PI-III product, I would think that it has some b/c application. I keep thinking that I`m just not using it correctly, but I`ve tried everything I can think of....any ideas?

Bill D
08-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Sounds close to Super Duty RC and I cringe everytime I open it. I reserve it for my mid exhaust pipe now.

stiege
08-23-2004, 12:01 PM
I used this with great success with a pc and wool pad to remove 1500 grit wetsanding marks on my black ss paint. I followed it up with 3M Finesse-It II Machine Polish 39003 with a yellow cutting pad and the paint was super smooth.

Jason

stevet
08-25-2004, 09:31 AM
Accumulator,

Have you figured this out yet?:)

Accumulator
08-25-2004, 10:56 AM
stiege - Thanks. I used it with decent results on SS, but it still left more (not-so-micro) marring than I would`ve liked. Like you, I was removing serious scratches on SS and then following up with a more reasonable product. But on b/c, forget it. It just scours the finish way too much for me. Maybe the wool pad makes all the difference; I was only using foam and some products do work a lot better with wool.

stevet- nah...things are happening regarding the Volvo, so I`m not experimenting on it any more- now I`m trying to get it presentable/back on the road ASAP. None of my other vehicles need anything like this stuff so I`ll probably make like Bill D for now and use it as a metal polish.