PDA

View Full Version : Will someone answer some newbie Q`s?

4runnerGuy
08-19-2004, 01:39 AM
Let me start off by saying I love the site, and had no idea there were so many specialty products out there. Glad to know there are other extremely anal people out there (my g/f thinks I need therapy!). I just bought an 04` 4runner, and want to raise it perfectly, so here are a few questions...

Everyone here seems crazy about this porter cable polisher. My brand new 4runner hasn`t any scratches or swirls...should I still own one?

My 4runner is Titanium Metallic in color, and everyone seems to prefer Vanilla Mousse as a polisher....where can I purchase this product?...is it too abrasive to be used monthy? How often is everyone using "light" polishers as maintenance?

I`m new to sealants, and have always done a cleaner/glaze/wax routine. Do these sealants really protect like my old faithful carnauba?

Thanks...Michael

4runnerGuy
08-19-2004, 01:47 AM
Ok...I just saw pakshak has VM. I`m going to order the VM/EX-P combo tomorrow. As stated above I am wondering if I should polish every month or if this is excessive with a new car. Thanks...

ultrajim49
08-19-2004, 02:05 AM
Welcome to this great forum

congrats with the new ride:xyxthumbs

to answer some Q`s:

My brand new 4runner hasn`t any scratches or swirls...should I still own one?

not realy

How often is everyone using "light" polishers as maintenance?

as a maintanance , meaning spot-polishing just the swirled area when needed

Do these sealants really protect like my old faithful carnauba?

no, they protect longer (4 to 6 months)

Christiaan:wavey

PakShak
08-19-2004, 02:07 AM
Congratulations on the purchase of your new `04 4Runner. You sure have good taste. :D Is it a Sports or Limited Edition?

VM is a light polish with mild fillers. However, if your topping VM with EX-P you wouldn`t have to use VM again for another 3 to 6 months. Longevity/durability will depend on several factors e.g. frequency of washes, QD in between washes, car parked outside or inside, etc. But if your like me, I add a layer of sealant every month so the issue with durability for me goes out the window. I just can`t resist myself. Yes, I`m addicted. :D

You can also check out www.specialtymotoring.com for the VM/EX or EX-P combo. They offer really good deals on their products and their customer service is impressive.

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

imported_Lawdog
08-19-2004, 07:33 AM
I`d say go ahead and get the PC. After all you can use it to apply your protectants. I have to orbital buffers, and bought a PC and I might as well throw the other ones in the trash, as they don`t compare. And, you know that no matter what you do, swirls are in your future.

imported_Macgirl
08-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by 4runnerGuy

Everyone here seems crazy about this porter cable polisher. My brand new 4runner hasn`t any scratches or swirls...should I still own one?

Yes, the PC is for "polishing," it won`t remove all scratches but it is perfect for getting a great finish. Check out this article, Detailer`s Dream (http://www.roadfly.org/magazine/7/porter_cable_buffer.1.html), for a great explaination of the Porter Cable Random Orbital Polisher and then this one, Porter Cable for the Beginner (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1).

I`ve found that when I set out to do a full-on seasonal detail of any of the cars I do, the PC is indispensible for getting a consistant high gloss finish. It doesn`t make the job faster, but it does take fatigue out of the question and I know it is using the same motions on the whole car, instead of my arm giving out on me.

Enjoy getting into the obsession and try not to get carried away with buying products. Get yourself some good washing tools, microfiber towels, a compound (for those unexpected scratches you may find), a polish like the VM, and use them, don`t just get `em and expect miracles. Ask questions and read about how others are using what you are using. Download the eBook from AutopiaThe Autopia eBook (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/lib/autopia/mendiraftery) and keep it for a great reference. (The Autopia Guide to Detailing is a Windows executable ebook. Click the link to download and save the file to your Windows Desktop. Click the red car icon to run the book. You will need to register your copy to get a password that unlocks all chapters. The author, David Bynon, sends free updates 2-3 times a year. )

Oh, here are some links to PC deals:

Detailer`s Paradise (http://www.detailersparadise.com/_System/_AdvancedStore/ProductDetail.asp)

Coastal Tool (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+vjpq5830ff4f5f4f+1092842321)

Check out Lowe`s also

ALAN81
08-19-2004, 02:09 PM
RANNY on this board your the man but I have one question...Is there any product that you know of that you can honestly say will last 3-6 months within your standards?I can`t even the mildest weather the sun beats up your car badly JUST WONDERING.......one last thing I CANT MESS WITH YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE TOO MANY FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

hirosh
08-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by 4runnerGuy

Let me start off by saying I love the site, and had no idea there were so many specialty products out there. Glad to know there are other extremely anal people out there (my g/f thinks I need therapy!). I just bought an 04` 4runner, and want to raise it perfectly, so here are a few questions...

My 4runner is Titanium Metallic in color, and everyone seems to prefer Vanilla Mousse as a polisher....where can I purchase this product?...is it too abrasive to be used monthy? How often is everyone using "light" polishers as maintenance?

I`m new to sealants, and have always done a cleaner/glaze/wax routine. Do these sealants really protect like my old faithful carnauba?

Thanks...Michael

welcome michael.

heh heh, a new car will make you obsessive about keeping it looking new. well, with what you learn here, it`ll look better than new. ;)

but what everybody has said is good advice. learn the better techniques of washing your car, you should probably clay your 4runner to get rid of any contaminents on the surface of your 4runner, if you are absolutely sure you don`t have any swirls/scratches - use the VM, and top with a good sealant. Poorboy`s makes a couple good ones, EX w/caranuba or EX-P (a pure sealant w/out the caranuba). lastly, post your pictures because some of us like to see nicely detailed vehicles! :D