PDA

View Full Version : Car Cover Quality

Pages : [1] 2

imported_bckpack
08-18-2004, 09:35 PM
I think I`ve decided to get a car cover for my 2004 Tacoma for daily use. Apparently my new house is surrounded by some careless pet owners whose cats like to use my truck as a climbing gym at night. I`ve QD`d the truck daily for the past week but the dirty paw prints and a few scratches always come back. Today I noticed that the weatherstripping above the grille had a hole in it.

So, how do I pick a quality cover from all the choices? Are the "cheap" covers any good? Should I go ahead and get a weatherproof cover? It is driven daily and parked in my driveway (under a tree). My main (only) concern is keeping the cats off to prevent scratches.

Any help is appreciated.

Jesstzn
08-18-2004, 09:44 PM
I had a cat problem here for a while .. what I did instead of a car cover is I got a baby crib bottom fitted sheet from the Thrift store ( $2) . The elastic on the 4 corners made it a perfict fit for the hood on my 99 Silverado / 01 4Runner and 03 Passat.

Just pull it over the hood and then at nite I put a couple of mouse traps exactly where they land when they jump up. They get sore feet and quickly loose interest. It more scares than hurts them. Cheap solution.

I would also put it on at work to keep the bird poop off.

Bill D
08-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Weathershield saved my former car, the cat or wild animal slid right off :D, made a small puncture only in the cover, paint had no marks! :up

lbls1
08-18-2004, 10:13 PM
You should get a breathable cover of a very high quality. I recommend visiting california car cover`s website, or obtaining one of their catalogs.

If pets and passerby`s are a concern, you will want a cover that will offer you the best in terms of weather protection and protection from pets and occasional dings. It sounds like the noah may be your candidate.

imported_bckpack
08-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Jesstzn-The fitted sheet is a good idea but I`ve got cat prints on the hood, roof and my tonneau cover. I do like the mouse trap idea, even with a cover.

I think I`ll go "all the way" and look for a weatherproof cover if I`m going to put in the time and effort to use it everyday. Anyone have vendors they`ve had success with?

Bill D
08-19-2004, 08:26 AM
I`ve now learned here webcovers.com appears to have some of the best deals around on covers. He he, I wanted as close to 100% weather and scratch/ding protection as I could get so I use both the Weathershield and Noah when I have to use a cover. I`m am extremely pleased with them :xyxthumbs

Matt M, PA
08-19-2004, 08:49 AM
With the showcars I have had, I have bought many covers over the years and have learned a few things.

First...Covercraft makes the covers for almost everyone. I now buy mine at my local auto parts shop.

Get a custom fit cover for your car. It will stay on better and fit correctly.

For outside use...Noah & Weathershield are Covercraft`s better outside fabrics. Weathershield is the most water repellant, and is very lightweight. It also takes up much less space than bulkier covers. Downside is that since it is so lightweight...and my Cobra is always well polished....a bit of wind makes taking it on and off a bit tricky. Noah is not as water repelant...but is a much heavier fabric..it`s also less expensive that Weatherguard. For my restored `72 Plymouth that stays inside, I have a cotton cover and a Noah...the Noah is in case I am at a show and cannot get to the trailer in time for a rainstorm.

The Cobra, which stays outside, uses a Weatherguard...and I think that`s best for outside use.

samhian
08-19-2004, 09:03 AM
I have a Noah car cover that I got from bigskycarcovers.com. It`s completely massive, a perfect fit and was a great price. The Noah is one step down from the Weathershield and was about $70 cheaper. It`s more cumbersome than the Weathershield and not as easy to wash, but since my car is garaged, I have never needed to wash it.

Pats300zx
08-19-2004, 09:09 AM
I am considering a new cover for my show car. I have a cotton one that I use when I am at shows overnight. It doesn`t repel water that great so I am looking for something with protection from rain etc.

I think I might end up investing in the NOAH fabric. :up

samhian
08-19-2004, 09:13 AM
You won`t regret it. The Noah is top notch.

Mr. Chemist
08-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Kimberly Clark produces the fabric that goes into the NOAH...these people know what they`re doing. One rain on a sheet or a cheap car cover and the differences will become painfully apparent.

I`m for contacting California Car Cover...great folks who will gladly help you out.

Bill D
08-19-2004, 10:28 AM
I`ve found the Noah can absorb more steady rains so I coupled it with the WS and voila, best thing you can get next to truly waterproof while still allowing the covers to breathe. :up

imported_Lawdog
08-19-2004, 10:36 AM
I had a problem with the neighbors cats climbing on my truck. Put several small scratches on the side of the bed as they jumped up. Let the field behind me grow up a litte, the coyotes came in, no more neighbors cats!

samhian
08-19-2004, 10:36 AM
So, Bill D, you put both WS and NOAH on your car at the same time? I don`t think that`s a good idea. You would be cutting down big time on breathablility. Not to mention probably spending around $400 on car covers when you could be spending that money on detailing products. :)

Bill D
08-19-2004, 10:43 AM
When I use the covers, yes both, and no, no breathability issues. My gf uses this method every day and no problems. I paid less than $400 for both.