PDA

View Full Version : SUCTION: Wet/dry VS. Extractor

imported_rookie
08-18-2004, 05:42 PM
I just have a general question, this isn`t about what is better. I know that one needs an extractor to get a better clean; but this question more pertains to the suction.

I am wondering if wet/dry vacs have the same suction as extractors? If there are a few, what are they? regardless of price.

Also, i know the name brand big time wet/dry vacs. But does anyone use any other kind of wet/dry vac that is exceptional? Any smaller companies that make a great one?

Thanks.

ZaneO
08-18-2004, 06:01 PM
Generally the higher priced extractors will have better lift than shop vacs. It`s really hard to tell though, because extractors are rated in inches of lift and shop vacs aren`t.

imported_rookie
08-18-2004, 06:44 PM
So do you have any idea what Shop vac has the most lift/suction if HP isn`t a good measure for that?

ZaneO
08-18-2004, 07:44 PM
I`m not sure that anyone does because shop vacs aren`t measured that way.

If you are looking for a good shop vac, buy one of the proven brands and models...Craftsman, Shop Vac, Rigid. Horsepower ratings are peak numbers and the difference in anything over 5 hp is going to be negligible (from what I have been told).

imported_rookie
08-18-2004, 08:27 PM
I also think hose extensions have a big impact on suction.

They might be convenient and all that, but I think it can dramatically effect suction.

jimmybuffit
08-18-2004, 08:40 PM
If you have an extra dollar, take look at the Fein line (Coastaltool.com), best one out there. Quiet, tremendous lift. I got the extended hose, and I think it is now 26` long. Gets the chrome off a bumper hitch, if ya know what I mean...

Jim

imported_rookie
08-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Generally the higher priced extractors will have better lift than shop vacs. It`s really hard to tell though, because extractors are rated in inches of lift and shop vacs aren`t.

This one that Jimmy suggested has :Static Water Lift: 99"

How is that?

imported_rookie
08-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Jim, by the way, thanks. I would like to hear what people say about this thing.

You have one? How is it? How long have you had it? Is there a noticeable difference between this and a craftsman 6.5hp?

Thanks.

ZaneO
08-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by rookie

This one that Jimmy suggested has :Static Water Lift: 99"

How is that?

Go ahead and find me stats on more vacs and I`ll retract my statement.

What`s the point of your question in the first place? Are you trying to buy a shop vac?

togwt
08-19-2004, 06:52 AM
~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

ZaneO is correct in saying that vacuum (power) is stated as static lift (the amount of suction required to ‘lift’ a static column of water in a U tube that is graduated in inches.

‘For what it’s worth’ the extractor I use (Vapor Clean T5 Extractor / Spotter) has a static lift of 102 inches water gage.

The suction hose will make a difference insofar as the interior smoothness, the length of the hose and the amount of ‘bend’ you put in the hose when you use it (all equate to more resistance = less vacuum available)

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

imported_rookie
08-19-2004, 07:31 AM
Black regal, do they make vacuums that have that kind of lift (150-200`)? Or can you only get extractors with that?

Zaneo, Yes I am looking to get a wet/dry. The reason I put down the 99` lift, was just to ask whether that was adaquete or not.

togwt
08-19-2004, 07:53 AM
~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Just a thought but if you consider a wet/dry vacuum with a high static lift (no pun intended) and an extractor wouldn’t the extractor be a better buy (obviously dependant upon costs) as it would do two jobs both vacuum and clean?

The extractor I have cost me approx $500 if memory serves, my vacuum (Metro Vac N` Blo) with a 95 inch WG lift was approx $190

My reasoning for buying these units: the extractor is a vac/cleaner for interiors and the vacuum is also a blower to dry vehicle, engines, etc

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

imported_rookie
08-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Because I have worked for three different shops now. I am trying to learn the system, how to do it, take the good, leave the bad..... Anyway, a guy I am with now doesn`t use an extractor and does an unbelieveable job.

We clean the carpets first, scrub, then extract. After seeing the different systems, I don`t know if spending the extra 1000 bucks is even worth it. They do a fantastic job without one. He actually is opposed to it for different reasons. But i think the difference is hot water vs. cold water mixed with cleaner. In the end it is NOT going to be that big of a difference; and I am not even seeing the difference.

I feel like they have as good of suction, I just wanted to know if there was a measure for them both to compare.