PDA

View Full Version : Tips for avoiding chipping.

JaredPointer
10-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Anyone have any good tips for freeway driving to avoid chips? It really ticks me off that the people who strive to keep the vehicles clean fall prey to the filthy semis and cars that people never wash. Caught a big gravel from a semi yesterday and got a nice new chip. :flamed I already have a bug-deflector and try not to tailgate , but it`s hard to stay alone on the interstate between the people who are flying and the poeple who are going too slow. I have looked at the Invinca-Shield stuff, but I really don`t know if I`d like it. It`s just annoying. Oh well, I guess my rant is over. It`s good to get it out of your system!!

Eliot Ness
10-21-2004, 09:36 AM
If you drive your car you`re gonna get rock chips, especially if you do freeway miles. The only ways to minimize it are using bra`s or other types of shields. A good sealant/wax helps, but it`s a given you`ll have that on your car anyway. Buy some touch-up paint and practice wet-sanding/buffing to blend/hide the chips.

This is a problem we all face with the number of trucks and SUV`s on the road today, like you say, you try not to tailgait but when people swerve and cut in front of you sometimes you get closer than you`d like. Nothing feels/sounds worse than a rock hitting your paint.

The worst drive is from a body shop after you have a car painted. It seems like every car is trying to hit/sideswipe you on the way home.