PDA

View Full Version : Need some help, Harley Chrome Exhaust pipes

JaCkaL829
08-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Today, I was over at my uncle`s house doing up my cousin`s black civic. He lives out in Indiana and just came back yesterday for a couple weeks, before moving out to San Diego. Anyway, while I was detailing his car, my other cousin`s husband was also there. My uncle`s been storing his Harley and he was trying to "fit in" I guess and was QDing his bike. Anyway after seeing what I was removing from the civic with SSR2.5, he was showing me some burnt rubber on his chrome exhaust pipes. So I say lemme try it with the PC and SSR2.5. I work it in around 5, 5.5 and completely remove the rubber. He was shocked. The only bad part about it was that one part is really hazed up. I realized I shouldn`t have been using the cutting pad, that I was using on the Civic. I followed up with SSR2.5 on a polshing pad and it really didn`t do anything else. He says its not that bad and he`d rather have it a little hazed up but I think hes saying it just to be nice. I really wanna fix it for him but not sure what kinda of approach to take. All I had was SSR2.5 and EX-P on me so my options were limited. He was talkin about buyin some metal polish but i`m not sure if that will really "clear" up the chrome. Any recomendations on what I should do? I was thinking maybe VM? I`m gonna be there Sunday night for a party so I was thinking of just bringin some stuff over and try clearing it up for him. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ChicagoVTX
08-18-2004, 02:02 PM
you may have to wed sand with 2000 grit paper and finish it with a buffing pad and a rotory. next time turn the bike on and let the pipes get hot and wipe the them down while they are still hot this should take the rubber off, if that does not try a razor blade while they are still hot this always work for me.