PDA

View Full Version : A possible Engine Kote replacement from 3m?

Bill D
08-17-2004, 03:11 PM
I stumbled across this product on the 3m store site and from the brief description, sounds like it could be an acrylic type product similar to Engine Kote. Anyone familar with it?

http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=362793&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=37991&CID=0&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

bjwebster
08-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

I stumbled across this product on the 3m store site and from the brief description, sounds like it could be an acrylic type product similar to Engine Kote. Anyone familar with it?

http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=362793&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=37991&CID=0&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

Hmm, Never Used It But It Looks Interesting. Ill Have To Go By My Local Detail Place That Carries 3M and see if they have any....

I only have about half a spray bottle of EK left that I use on my wheel wells, and need some more...

Bill D
08-17-2004, 03:18 PM
BJ,

That would be great! You could compare and contrast the 2. Something tells me they`re close. This sure would beat running out and buying smaller bottles of Mop & Glo or trying to find other brands that make a similar product.

Oh yeah,one more thing, If indeed it is similar, I wonder how long it will be on the market until 3m will have to discontinue it for the same reasons Megs had to do with EK? :(

Matt M, PA
08-18-2004, 03:53 PM
As many of you know, I avoid silicones (no need for that debate here) but I tried the CD2 Engine Detailer on my `94 Bronco last week.

It has 86,000 snow and rain miles, and after it got to be a few years old, I stopped rinsing under the hood regularly.

Anyhow, a dealer I work with was having an event and they wanted a Ford from each year they were in biz on display. My Bronco and Cobra were asked to appear. I HAD to do something with under the hood of the Bronco and had little time.

I sprayed the engine area with Simple Green...gently brushed areas and rinsed. Then, I sprayed the CD2 on and let it dry. Then ran the engine (per instructions to help dry) for a while. I did have to wipe a few areas that were still wet.

What a difference! It`s certainly not perfect but the old girl got lots of compliments. It dried without being tacky and does not look like it was soaked in oil. Dirt does not seem to stick to it, and even after driving in the rain it still looks great.

So..to those that recommended CD2...they were right.

(I did remove the serpentine belt before spraying.)

I don;t have a before pic...but if anyone wants to see the after..I`ll take one.

ZaneO
08-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Always like to see pictures :D

Bill D
08-18-2004, 04:52 PM
I don`t use a product like Engine Kote on the engine specifically, I only use it for wheel wells/plastic panels on the undercarriage. The 3m stuff that comes in a gallon seems like it could be a very attractive alternative for those who like that kind of product.

Matt M, PA
08-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Zane...I`ll take one tonight and post.

04BlackAV
08-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Yes interested to see the results.I have the 2 pack of CD2 and I don`t have a dirty engine to try it out in.:(

jfelbab
08-19-2004, 09:31 AM
I can echo Matt`s experience with CD2 Engine Detailer. This 15 year old engine compartment was badly neglected. I cleaned with Orange Blast and rinsed. After drying I sprayed CD2 Engine Detailer and now it looks pretty good. The resins in CD2 cure to a dry, non-oily surface that does not attract dirt or dust.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/559P080504-14.jpg

Bill D
08-19-2004, 10:29 AM
Do they sell that by the gallon? I just use 303 on tires, interior and engine compartment.

togwt
08-19-2004, 11:33 AM
~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

I don’t use the type of product you describe, I do know that Groit’s make a product called Engine Gloss, it’s an aerosol, so it`s not available in a gallon size (I use it for fender wells)

POI ~Simple Green has a high alkaline content and may dull / damage aluminum parts (wheels, suspension, etc)

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Bill D
10-21-2004, 02:02 PM
I finally got to call 3m about this product: it is a water based silicone emulsion and is dilutable. I thought it was more along the lines of the now discontinued Engine Kote which is ready to use/not recommended to be diluted.

stilez
10-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Bill: Please rename your blog to "New Product Introducer"...I sware you post a new product everyday :)

I almost can`t look at your posts, other wise I will go bankrupt. :lol

topnotchtouch
10-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

I finally got to call 3m about this product: it is a water based silicone emulsion and is dilutable. I thought it was more along the lines of the now discontinued Engine Kote which is ready to use/not recommended to be diluted.

Bill,

I dillute EK 1:1 and have absolutely no problems. It actually helps reduce the runs and spotting that you can get with EK if you don`t have a fine mist sprayer.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2760dsc00045a.jpg

Bill D
10-21-2004, 04:34 PM
LOL Sean I just post about them and try real hard to not think too much about the products I don`t already have

:o

Bob,

That`s great! Sounds like the way to go especially when one`s EK supply is getting low