PDA

View Full Version : Is terry still acceptable?

siblues
08-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Just wondering if terry is still ok to use on the paint or should I just stick to mf,and who is still using terryand for what ?

imported_BretFraz
08-17-2004, 02:17 PM
I don`t know why terry would be "bad" but most of us use microfiber due to its non-marring softness and absorbability. If you like terrycloth and it`s working well for you, by all means keep using it.

Personally I`ve relegated all my terrycloth towels to "dirty duty"; engines, doorjambs, wheelwells, armpit-wiping...stuff like that.

hirosh
08-17-2004, 02:22 PM
i agree with bretfaz. MFs only on the paint, terry towels for the dirty, non-paint jobs (except the arm-pit wiping :D). well, i will use a terry towel in an emergency, like if i`m not at home and the MFs i have in the car are dirty.

jmsc
08-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Microfiber everywhere incl door-jams, wheels...except terry (charisma) to initially wipe off Meguiar`s #7 per Mike Phillip`s recommendation.

But basically, its MF at each detailing step.

Mr. Clean
08-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Here`s a "me too" post :o I also wipe my brow, but not my armpits (thanks Bretfraz for that visual :( ). I do still use terry for some interior work; carpets, upholstery, leather seating (wiping off cleaners and conditioners)

The pricing and availability of quality microfiber toweling has, for me, made the use of quality terry unecessary when it comes to painted surfaces.

txz28
08-17-2004, 04:33 PM
I use quality MF for all painted material except where it is very dirty. I use the cheap sam`s MF for interior and underhood.

I have not had a problem with MF and #7. I just go through several of them when removing it.

smokeum
08-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Im not a pro but i know the mf towels scratch as bad as any other towel.I had bird poop on my black car and sprayed qd on it and then wiped with a mf and it left some horrible scratches.The mf i used was new and never used and the car was clean besides the poop.I dont know why everyone says they dont scatch because obviouly they do.

medic159
08-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by smokeum

Im not a pro but i know the mf towels scratch as bad as any other towel.I had bird poop on my black car and sprayed qd on it and then wiped with a mf and it left some horrible scratches.The mf i used was new and never used and the car was clean besides the poop.I dont know why everyone says they dont scatch because obviouly they do.

Sounds like you rubbed too hard and rubbed the poo into the paint which caused the scratches. Where did you buy the MF? K-Mart?

smokeum
08-17-2004, 05:13 PM
I bought them at advance.They look like most others ive seen.I only rubbed hard enough to get the poo off.

jmsc
08-17-2004, 05:18 PM
http://www.poorboysworld.com/bird-sht-remover.htm

for a scratch-free result.

ZaneO
08-17-2004, 05:47 PM

Sounds like a user error, not a towel error. You should allow the QD to soak and then blot off the droppings. Never scrub on paint.

shaf
08-17-2004, 11:59 PM

I bought them at advance.They look like most others ive seen.I only rubbed hard enough to get the poo off. It was most likely the bird poop and surrounding dust on the paint that scratched, not the MF. Most MF I`ve tried seems to be fine. Another explaination might be if the MF was a cheap kind, and had scratchy corners or border stitching.

Some people still like to use terry cloth towels for hand polishing jobs I believe.

Accumulator
08-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Some people still like to use terry cloth towels for hand polishing jobs I believe.

Yeah, I had a scratch behind the S8`s door handle (dealership guys :rolleyes: yeah, I adequately expressed my displeasure) that I took out using PI-III RC (05933) then PI-III MG (05937) with (very soft) terry. The added "bite" of the terry helped with the hard Audi clear. I did, however, follow up with both the MG and 1Z MP (Pro version) with a MF.

But you gotta make sure your terry is good and soft and *really* 100% cotton. People used terry for a *long* time before MF came out, including back when paints were generally a lot softer than they are today. It`s not like no one ever had marring-free paint until MFs were developed. But, heh heh, yeah, I generally only use MFs now that we *do* have them.

BTW, yeah, as others are saying, good MFs don`t mar automotive paint unless something abrasive gets between the towel and the finish. The lacquer on my XJS is about as soft as it gets, and my YoSteve and (the original) Miracle Towel MFs do *not* mar it. Nor do my CBTs (natural fibers, but MFs none the less). My vipers and some others, however, *will* mar it, but they`re fine on harder paints.