PDA

View Full Version : How do I treat a brand new car?

docprizzy
08-16-2004, 09:43 PM
I am picking up my brand new Infinity FX35 , 2004, metallic silver. Can anyone here guide me through the best way to protect the new finish on the car? I seem to be overwhelmed w/ all the waxes/polymers ect I have read about on the forum. Thanks in advance, Doc.

ZaneO
08-16-2004, 09:49 PM
The best thing you can do is wash it, clay it, and protect it.

Just decide if you want a warm glow with shorter durability (carnauba wax) or a brighter shine with longer durability (sealant).

I think Wolfgang or Trade Secret carnauba would look great on that color.

This article may help you out: Perfect Shine (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=28)

shaf
08-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Hi Doc, welcome to Autopia :welcome

You might want to check out some of the articles in the Learn! link at the top of the page. It should have some articles to help you sort this out a bit better. You don`t need to get too obsessive with multiple products to actually protect your car, but just be sure to care for the car properly. Among the more important topics are proper towelling/mitts/applicators, and washing methods. Hopefully this helps to get you started.

imported_fireberd350
08-17-2004, 07:44 AM
I noticed a lot that people are suggesting you clay your brand new car. Not that I have ever owned a brand new car but I would assume the paint would be pretty smooth already:nixweiss I`m not saying it`s wrong to clay I just don`t understand the reasoning on fresh paint.

ZaneO
08-17-2004, 09:46 AM
There is most always something on a new car finish - rail dust, etc.

togwt
08-17-2004, 10:01 AM
to Autopia Docprizzy

As you will see it’s a ‘very user friendly’ place, the people on this forum are very knowledgeable, and are more than willing to share their knowledge. The one thing that seems to stand out here compared to other special interest forums is a spirit of "open mindednessâ€, it’s not marque or brand specific and no opinion expressed is ‘wrong’ just different.

I’ve put this together to help you ‘find your way around’, it’s a lot of reading but worthwhile, and you’ll soon have that ‘perfect shine’.

After reading the House Rules (upper left of the home page) that will tell you a bit about our operating procedures (and then Acronyms) Suggest you start at David’s guide (Learn icon – Car Care Topics) and/or (Forum – University) you could also research FAQ (go to Interact-Features-FAQ) or Interact (Search) and then ask your questions on (Forums - University) there are also tips on products under Shop (How-To) plus be sure to check on the discounts available to forum members. And there’s the (Reviews) section that includes the Hall of Fame, where contributing members have posted their evaluation of products.

The Autopia “Guide to detailing e-Book†(e-Book Subscription) covers most facets of vehicle detailing, its free to download (file size 14MB) or $9.95 for the CD. If Autopia solves just one of your detailing problems it’s worth the price of admission

"Learn the prep b4 using good products, it will save you $$$ in the long run." hondaguy2582

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

Accumulator
08-17-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by fireberd350

I noticed a lot that people are suggesting you clay your brand new car...I just don`t understand the reasoning on fresh paint.

As ZaneO said, there`s gonna be *something* masty on the paint even if you take the vehicle "still in the plastic". Ferrous deposits (rail dust, particles from the brake rotors, and similar stuff from who-knows-where) will turn into nasty "rust blooms" when they start to corrode. These rust blooms look really nasty on silver cars (I`ve had a lot of silver cars ;) ).

Sometimes/often this ferrous contamination thing leads to permanent damage. It`s not something to be taken lightly.

I even go a step beyond claying and use a decontamination system like ABC or FinishKare- no more rust blooms, it made a dramatic difference. You might not want to go to that extreme, but at least clay it.

docprizzy- Welcome to Autopia! Short answer to new car owners: wash, clay, protect with something long lasting. The Klasse twins are sorta a "standard suggestion" around here.

04MysticCobra
08-17-2004, 12:49 PM
I have 3 new 2004 vehicles and every one had some nasty contaminants on the finish. I use Clay magic and they give you a plastic glove so you can feel the roughness on the surface. the Clay took it all away and the finishes are silky smooth. I have been using clay magic since 93 and all my new vehicles get the treatment.

Later, 04MysticCobra.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2004 Mystichrome Cobra coupe

2004 Majestic Blue Maxima SE

2004 Mazda Tribute ES

hirosh
08-17-2004, 01:35 PM
fireberd - try the `baggie` test: get a zip-loc plastic bag (or something similar), put your hand in it, and run it over the surface. if the car hasn`t been cleaned in a while, you will most likely feel all the stuff on the surface.

and welcome docprizzy. like everybody said, the `learn` button is a good place to start. the "detailing how-to series` is a good place to start and learn the better way of keeping your new infiniti looking better than new. :)

also, there are a lot of good, different products out there. which one is good for you depends on different factors, like are you looking for durability, shine, depth, slickness, etc etc. it can be quite overwhelming, but i`ve found it helpful to browse the `click & brag` section to see the results of the different products. you may even do a search for `silver` and limit it to the `click & brag` section.

hope this helps.

max_man_94_01
08-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Got myself a new car last week. The one I got was on the lot for 64 days. In my book, that is not fresh anymore. Who knows how much longer it`s been since it came-out of the factory and got delivered to the dealer I bought it from. I think that should qualify for at least a wash, clay and sealant and/or wax. If I had time, I could have applied some cleaner on it. Anyway, contrary to the myth that new cars paint do not need TLC, by the time you get it, it is crying for a lot of TLC. Ditto to folks who pointed out the baggie test. That should help prove the point....

HeavyChevyBoy
08-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Hi Doc,

I just did a friends Subaru STi brand new with 12 miles in it last weekend. The paint is good and feels smooth. The only problem was it have a lot of glue left from the plastic that they put on the new paint. I tried claying it but it will not come off and the clay bar or part of it are actually sticking to the glue. I end up using my Klasse AIO and a microfiber cloth. The glue came off like butter and we end up using the Klasse AIO on the whole car. We did not have enought time to apply the Klasse SG so we end up using NXT wax. It looks very eye candy. Now, we want to apply the SG but I am not sure if the NXT will affect the glaze. See my post about it. http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42588

Ricky