PDA

View Full Version : mothers claybar and zaino

Pages : [1] 2 3

estoriltEck
08-16-2004, 12:27 PM
hi im new here and i just claybared my car yesterday with mothers claybar and WOW ive never felt my car so smooth before! i was at a friends house and forgot my zaino so i just used the mothers carnuaba wax that was included in the box.

i was wondering if i could just put a layer of z5 or 2 over the mothers wax or i have to wash with dawn and start out new?

thanks

togwt
08-16-2004, 12:41 PM
:welcome to Autopia exclusivedetail

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Zanio has compatibility problems (as do most synthetic polymers) with Carnauba wax. Looks like you’ll have to ‘clean’ the surface to remove the wax. I would suggest using Z7

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

dternst
08-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by exclusivedetail

hi im new here and i just claybared my car yesterday with mothers claybar and WOW ive never felt my car so smooth before! i was at a friends house and forgot my zaino so i just used the mothers carnuaba wax that was included in the box.

i was wondering if i could just put a layer of z5 or 2 over the mothers wax or i have to wash with dawn and start out new?

thanks

I would remove the Mother`s wax using a 50/50 Mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water. As explained on the Zaino Bros. website, Dawn shouldn`t be use on a regular basis.

Try this process:

Z7 Wash

50/50

Z7 Wash

Apply Z5 and then Z2.

Mr. Chemist
08-16-2004, 12:59 PM
I have never seen or experienced the compatibility issues with carnauba and synthetics. I am curious as to the symptoms of this incompatibility. Tribal knowledge indicates that many have used our synthetic as a topper or even visa versa...carnauba on top of our synthetic....with exceptional results.

2wheelsx2
08-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Chemist

I have never seen or experienced the compatibility issues with carnauba and synthetics. I am curious as to the symptoms of this incompatibility. Tribal knowledge indicates that many have used our synthetic as a topper or even visa versa...carnauba on top of our synthetic....with exceptional results.

Iceman (he used to post regularly here) experienced this first hand. He used S100 SEC on his 350Z and applied Zaino Z2 on top, and after an hour of curing, the Z2 came off in flakes. Didn`t bond because of the oils in SEC. A Dawn wash later, and everything was back to normal. I am not sure the probably is all synthetics. But the one synthetic which seems to have problems with the oils in Carnauba is Zaino, hence the Dawn wash.

dternst
08-16-2004, 01:15 PM

For optimum results, Zaino prefers to have a surface free of oils, fillers, and/or waxes. This is not to say that Zaino will not work on top of a carnauba wax but you may not get the expected results.

Mr. Chemist
08-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Something that I have read on several bulletin boards did not make sense so I have done some "imvestimigation" It has been stated that "Dawn is highly alkaline". Well this didn’t make sense to me as people are continually putting their hands in Dawn to wash dishes...and a highly alkaline solution would definitely be a bad thing...and generally P&G doesn`t make errors of that nature, so I ran a pH on a Dawn solution and it is not alkaline...it is basically neutral.

I would say that the reason it removes waxes and oils so well is because it is a well engineered detergent, not because it is alkaline.

dternst
08-16-2004, 02:48 PM

Something that I have read on several bulletin boards did not make sense so I have done some "imvestimigation" It has been stated that "Dawn is highly alkaline". Well this didn’t make sense to me as people are continually putting their hands in Dawn to wash dishes...and a highly alkaline solution would definitely be a bad thing...and generally P&G doesn`t make errors of that nature, so I ran a pH on a Dawn solution and it is not alkaline...it is basically neutral.

I would say that the reason it removes waxes and oils so well is because it is a well engineered detergent, not because it is alkaline.

Funny, I made the same statement a few months ago. I measured the pH of Dawn to be 7.5 to 8. Other car shampoos range in pH from 5.5 to as high as 9.5.

Mr. Chemist
08-16-2004, 03:20 PM
deternst.....

It`s a myth that has been around for a while so it will take a bit of repetition to debunk...hard to argue with a pH meter.

estoriltEck
08-16-2004, 07:38 PM
thanks for the advice guys :up :D

Mike_Phillips
08-16-2004, 08:22 PM

deternst.....

It`s a myth that has been around for a while so it will take a bit of repetition to debunk...hard to argue with a pH meter.

I`ve been guilty of this, that is posting that Dawn is a high alkaline wash, I thought it was, or at least I thought I remember reading or hearing that it was somewhere and then started repeating it in my posts. This was a mistake.

I checked with Mike Pennington, Director of Training for Meguiar`s, and he told me I was wrong and that what Meguiar`s has always said is detergents will strip wax and polish, Meguiar`s has never official stated that any detergent wash is high alkaline.

After reading this, I guess I wanted to step up to the plate and be the first to say I`ve been wrong before someone else takes that liberty, (there seems to be a few folks that like to do that).

I would also go a step further and in the future I`ll do my best to help set the facts straight that detergent washes are not high alkaline.

Another good reason to visit, read and participate on the Autopia discussion forum.

Mike

Jesstzn
08-16-2004, 11:14 PM
I just did a pH on my Dawn .. neutral too .. But!!!!! Look at the Zaino sight .. and I quote ". I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint. Just use Liquid Dawn (hand dishwashing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and wax free." .. Even they post it as Alkaline when its not.

Mike_Phillips
08-16-2004, 11:35 PM
That`s probably where I got it from...

:D :D :D

Mike

estoriltEck
08-17-2004, 12:01 AM
i heard somewhere to use dawn blue, is that right?

also there are some little black dots on the door the claybar couldnt get off, i believe it is tar or a bug.

if i use a bug and tar remover would it mess up the perfect smoothness of my paint and i should re-clay that part or just rub it out and terry cloth it off?

i would really like to learn more about detailing.. and i think i found the place to start :D

longarm
08-17-2004, 11:48 AM
I used S100 over Blackfire Sealent and it turned out beautiful.