PDA

View Full Version : PC cutting pad and clear coat

imported_Lawdog
08-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Yes or no? I have read both here. Alot seem to talk about using an orange cutting pad on theri cars, but I read somewhere here that a cutting pad will damage clear coat.Which is it?

Accumulator
08-16-2004, 11:34 AM
You *CAN* use cutting pads on clear. Just use a little common sense and it`ll work fine. You will probably need to follow up with something on a polishing pad, though.

kartoon
08-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Just keep in mind that not every cutting pad is orange and not every orange pad is a cutting pad :)

togwt
08-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Quote: Just keep in mind that not every cutting pad is orange and not every orange pad is a cutting pad. Kartoon

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

The ‘convention’ for foam pad identification by colour used most often is:

Polish / Cutting Pad (*Yellow)-a harder more dense foam composition with an abrasive cutting action, for use with a medium abrasive polish, Machine Polish 1 or 2, Swirl Mark Remover, or Autoglym Paint Renovator Polish (Speed number 4-5)

Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)-a mid range, high density foam composition with a medium abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Polish / Waxing Pad (*White)-a softer less dense foam composition with a light abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Finishing Pad (*Gray)-an ultra-smooth foam that has no abrasive cutting ability, for use with Klasse High Sealant Gloss, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, Zanio Z-2 or Z-5 or a Glaze (Speed number 3)

Levelling Pad (Wool):

Are made from ¾-inch 100% natural lambs wool (do not use synthetic wool) are usually used to level a paint film surface with an abrasive machine polish (compound) or to apply a polish to large areas (diamond plate, Aluminium trailers, etc.)

Wool pads used wet or dry are very aggressive and have the greatest cutting ability and they also produce the most paint surface `compounding haze`

*The foam pad colour identifications are by Classic Motoring Accessories (CMA), manufactures of foam pads use a different colour to identify the abrasiveness or cutting ability of their foam pads

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

imported_Lawdog
08-16-2004, 03:41 PM
I just said orange because mine`s orange(sonus) I just wanted to make sure it wouldn`t screw up the clear coat with say DACP on a PC.

Deanski
08-16-2004, 04:21 PM
OK, Here is the Pad Application Guide chart for you:

Pad Application Guide Chart (http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/padappguide.html)

This should help you!

Regards,

Deanski

Deanski
08-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Oh yea, unless you`re using Diamond Cut and a cutting pad with a PC set to 6 and pushing hard on the PC with a downward force, you will not go through clearcoat with a PC.

With DACP and a cut pad, run up the speed as you start say at 4, then up to 5/ 6 with a small downward pressure untill it breaks down to a powder.

You then should have no swirls! It MAY be hazy, but that`s corrected with a less aggessive polish and pad. Switch to a polish pad and say #80 or #82 if using Megs. Then run the PC at 4. Continue the rest of the finish. Want more gloss? Switch to a finish pad and go down to Hand polish. Use it sparingly, too much it will gum up and be hard to remove.

Wipe off and enjoy your flawless finish!

Regards,

Deanski