PDA

View Full Version : Pad seperating? Faulty maybe?

NorcalZ71
08-14-2004, 10:44 PM
I`ve only had my PC and pads for like 2 months and so far only actually completed one car, my dads audi A4. I started on my GFs tahoe a few days ago, and i have noticed that my white polishing pad has started to tear in the foam around the perimeter of the velco/hook and loop attachment deal on the backside. This thing is like brand new, and i havent been rough on it at all maybe thinking it was a defect or something. The orange cutting.polishing pad is tearing slightly as well. what do ya`ll think?

l33
08-14-2004, 10:48 PM
what kind of pads and size and what size backing plate are you using?

If you are using a backing plate that is the same size or larger than the velcro the pad with begin to tare. Maybe that is a possiblity?

Scottwax
08-14-2004, 11:09 PM
I had the same problems as well. I switched to the Meguiars pads....which had a problem of their own with the adhesive for the velcro backing giving up after a few weeks of use. The last batch of pads I got from Meguiars have been fine though. My understanding is they improved the adhesive they were using.

MongooseGA
08-15-2004, 01:33 AM
what kind of pad is your white polising one?

it`s not the stock PC pad is it?

did you happen to have any problems like this, too?

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42408

my white pad ripped apart the day i bought the PC. apparently it was operator-error though. :nixweiss

MattZ28
08-15-2004, 03:03 AM
I use the variable contact LC 6.5" pads. I`ve had them for 2 months without a single problem.

imported_memnuts
08-15-2004, 06:59 AM
You might try:

When removing pads try grabbing the velcor and foam as a unit and detach from backing plate. If you are just grabbing the foam part of the pad you are physically pulling not only the pad from the backing plate but the velco/foam junction is also being pulled apart. Over time this will over-whelm the glue attachment of the velco to the foam. This is not a brand problem but a physical force that any pad of this type (velco and foam glue attachment) will in time cause failure.

Hope this helps.:wavey

04BlackAV
08-15-2004, 08:05 AM
Had the same problem with the LC white and orange pad using a 5" flex plate.The orange pad started cracking after the first use.Depending where you purchased them you may want to look into getting them replaced they should last longer than a couple of uses.

NavindraLR
08-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by 04BlackAV

Had the same problem with the LC white and orange pad using a 5" flex plate.The orange pad started cracking after the first use.Depending where you purchased them you may want to look into getting them replaced they should last longer than a couple of uses.

samething with my lc white pad... after doing only 2 cars... :angry

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
08-15-2004, 07:53 PM
If you`re having the problem that I`m thinking of then I`ll post this thread once again: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38923&highlight=pad+fix+ring

All hail MartyGrant!