PDA

View Full Version : Removing wax topper over Zaino

rgilbert24
08-14-2004, 09:53 PM
In the spring I put on a fresh application of zaino and about a month ago started adding a #16 topper. Getting time to soon add another layer of Zaino. Shoud I use DAWN to remove the wax or can I just prep it using a spray mixture of water and isopropol alcohol?

Detail 1
08-14-2004, 10:01 PM
I like to use Dawn it would seem to be easier and less chance that the alcohol would affect the moldings and adhesives

PAW
08-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Dawn will not remove a full layer of wax. If you`re car`s been in the sun for a month, most of the wax is gone already. Give it a couple more weeks, a Dawn wash and it should be ready for another layer of Z. Alcohol will remove the Zaino. You could try Megs APC+ at 64:1 or Prepsol (a paint prep solvent used before repaint. available at auto paint supply). There`s a good change both of these will remove the Z along with the wax.

dternst
08-14-2004, 10:25 PM
I wouldn`t suggest using Dawn on a regular bases. There are other options to removing existing wax. The 50/50 mixture of water and alcohol, PrepSol, or Einszett Acrysol.

Another option would be to wash using Z7, then use Z6, and finish it off with Z2. Depending on how long the prodcut has been on your automobiles surface, the use of any of the above mentioned product would be pointless.

David

freedom777
08-14-2004, 11:41 PM
I also have a wax topper (P21S) on my Zaino and I would like to know if I can use Z6 as a QD or do I need one with a carnauba base for a QD?

rgilbert24
08-15-2004, 12:39 AM
I use Mothers QD on panels which have a was topper and Z6 on panels with just the zaino. The mothers works well on the waxed panels and franklywould probably look fine on the zzaino panels as well.

imported_memnuts
08-15-2004, 06:33 AM
Do you have any Z1?

If so, a good Z7 or any car shampoo will remove any carnauba products that has been exposed to the environment for more than a week or two.

Use Z1 and work into surface. Z1 is not only a great product for the secure adhersion of Z polishes to the surface, but many forget that Z1, which most view as only a pre-cleaner, really adds to the wetness (depth) appearance of Zaino polishes. Z1 will not remove firmly attached previous layers of Z.

The important step is to "work" the Z1 into surface to the point that even a slight haze is too much product remaining on the finish. By using this Z1 application method, the drying time of the immediately applied Z2 or Z5 will not be greatly lenghtened (~1hr total).

Z7 wash and Z1 pre-treatment of the surface works great for removing residual oils from toppers.

Yes, you are limited to only one layer of Z polish for this session, but you may discover that topping now is not necessary. Next weekend use your ZFX and add 2-3 more coats and plan to be bored for the next fews months with just washing and Z6 Qd`ing. :xyxthumbs

This conclusion is applicable only if your previous prep produced the "natural" wetess and depth of your finish. If not, a carnauba topper will alter the optics and produce of this wet and deep appearance.

freedom777
08-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Do you have any Z1?

If so, a good Z7 or any car shampoo will remove any carnauba products that has been exposed to the environment for more than a week or two.

Use Z1 and work into surface. Z1 is not only a great product for the secure adhersion of Z polishes to the surface, but many forget that Z1, which most view as only a pre-cleaner, really adds to the wetness (depth) appearance of Zaino polishes. Z1 wil not remove firmly attached previous layers of Z.

The important step is to "work" the Z1 into surface to the point that even a slight haze is too much product remaining on the finish. By using this Z1 application method, the drying time of the immediately apply Z2 or Z5 will not be greatly lenghtened (~1hr total).

Z7 wash and Z1 pre-treatment of the surface works great for removing residual oils from toppers.

Yes, you are limited to only one layer of Z polish for this session, but you may discover that topping now is not necessary. Next weekend use your ZFX and add 2-3 more coats and plan to be bored for the next fews months with just washing and Z6 Qd`ing. :xyxthumbs

This conclusion is applicable only if your previous prep produced the "natural" wetess and depth of your finish. If not, a carnauba topper will alter the optics and produce of this appearance.

Thanks for your detailed reply :xyxthumbs

NavindraLR
08-15-2004, 03:29 PM
i have heard that dawn soap on plastic/vinly trim can have ill effects... any input? would this be the #1 recommendation for removing wax/sealant?

imported_DetailGirl
08-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by PAW

Dawn will not remove a full layer of wax. If you`re car`s been in the sun for a month, most of the wax is gone already. Give it a couple more weeks, a Dawn wash and it should be ready for another layer of Z. Alcohol will remove the Zaino. You could try Megs APC+ at 64:1 or Prepsol (a paint prep solvent used before repaint. available at auto paint supply). There`s a good change both of these will remove the Z along with the wax.

Be very careful with the Megs APC+. I find that it often discolors the reubber trim on cars. I will not use Megs APC+ ever again on the exterior of a vehicle, too many complaints. I wish it didnt discolor because it sure is amazing at getting old wax out of small trim areas.

togwt
08-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Forum Answer Blank

Quote: I have heard that dawn soap on plastic/vinyl trim can have ill effects... any input? Would this be the #1 recommendation for removing wax/sealant?

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Detergents:

Washing-up liquids should not be used on vehicles bodywork as their concentrated detergent and usually high sodium / high alkaline detergent soaps content will remove polish / wax and dry out the protective oils from the paint film, rubber and vinyl surfaces, and cause the clear coat to fail.

They will emulsify, breakdown and leach out oils naturally found in your paint, and also any oils you have applied in the way of a polish or glaze. Generally avoid the use of household cleaning products for automotive detailing as they are formulated for an entirely different type of cleaning.

As `dternst` has suggested a 50/50 mixture of distilled water / isopropyl alcohol, Prep Sol, or Einszett Acrysol will all clean / prep a vehicles paint surface safely.

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

rgilbert24
08-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Been away for a few days. In Winnipeg z1 and z7 hard to come by so will use the 50/50 mixture of water and isopropal. Thanks for alll your replies.

imported_memnuts
08-17-2004, 06:41 AM
Remember the IPA will remove all your previous layers of Zaino. No big deal because it is not the number of layers that is important but the surface in which Zaino is protecting.

Therefore, it would be a good time to polish the vehicle and remove any surface imperfections you have acquired since the last Prep.

There is a procedure in which one can safely use Dawn as a degeaser. Wash vehicle with normal vehicle shampoo. Mix 1 cap (~5ml) of Dawn in 1 gallon of water in second bucket. Agitate solution. Use a plush MF (DF Towels are great for this procedure) and saturate with Dawn solution. Wring out most of the solution and wipe down previous cleaned painted surfaces one at a time. Go over surface again with normal vehicle shampoo and rinse well. Take care not to touch trim and rubber components with Dawn moistened towel (same care one uses to apply some waxes, glazes and polishes).

Automotive paints have no naturally occurring oils in their fully dried/cured state. All oils removed using this procedure are foreign to your painted surfaces and can be safely removed.

IPA has its own ill-effects on rubber and plastic components also and one should also be careful using it on these items for the same reasons stated for Dawn and related detergents. :wavey