PDA

View Full Version : Engine degreasing faux pas

SilverSurfer
08-14-2004, 03:22 PM
Used Gunk`s foaming engine degreaser after reading about its effectiveness in these forums.

Did a nice job on almost everything in the engine compartment; however, unbeknownst to me at the time some degreaser got on the plastic cowl. The cowl has splotchy areas of medium gray coloring now where it had been black before. Same thing happened to the housing around the blower motor.

Is there anyway to restore the black color on these areas?

MongooseGA
08-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Mother`s "Back to Black" should fix it...

only a couple bucks and you can find it at wal-mart, auto-zone, whatever.

:xyxthumbs:

SilverSurfer
08-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Tried the B to B. Put a nice shine on, but did nothing for the color. Tried just about every product in my arsenal with no results other than a good shine. The situation might be hopeless.

Jesstzn
08-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Give Forever Black Tire Gel a try .. I use it on black textured plastic . Its a water based dye.

MongooseGA
08-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

Give Forever Black Tire Gel a try .. I use it on black textured plastic . Its a water based dye.

its a dye, huh?

can i buy this at an auto store like auto-zone or AAP? (dunno what you have in Canada besides Canadian tire...:nixweiss )

our jeep`s fenders are really getting me upset. B2B didnt work and i think the problem area just lost color.

maybe this is the same problem SilverSurfer is having.

i`ll give it a whirl.

SilverSurfer
08-14-2004, 08:05 PM
I see that the Forever Black folks might just have the product that I`m looking for. It`s a bumper and trim dye. Found it by searching Google for their tire gel. Sounds promising. Will have to order some.

jerry@robs
08-14-2004, 08:37 PM
why not just spray a thin coat of Bondo plastic flat black paint???

imported_Blake
08-14-2004, 08:37 PM
The best product I`ve found for treating vinyl is Poorboy`s Trim Restorer. It is solvent based and different from BnB.

A neighbour of mine has some scratched (like done by a Brillo Pad) smooth cladding on his van and Trim Restorer will hide those blemishes. You might also try Meguiar`s #38 or Gold Class Trim Detailer if you are looking for a store bought product.