PDA

View Full Version : "Off Brand" Rotory

General Lee
08-14-2004, 03:16 PM
Anyone have an off brand rotory? what I mean is one that is not Dewalt, Makita, Cyclo, Black& Decker, etc...

Ebay has a ton of brand new rotory`s but alot of them have no brand name and you can tell they are. They do have multiple speeds, and alot of the same features as a brand name one.

Reason I ask is I am thinking of trying one for "practice" and use it to learn with before buying an expensive one. I assume they perform the same job because they have speeds for example from 1000 to 3000 rpm. I imagine they will work.

jaybs02
08-14-2004, 03:45 PM
if your looking for an inexpensive one the "practice" with try harbor freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46507)

others have said they use it as a back up.

for $25 ,it`s a cheap way to get the hang of it

Good luck

"J"

Woob
08-14-2004, 05:25 PM
Is this machine any good?

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=516688

:confused: Seems somewhat cheap. Is the harbour freight price still $25?

General Lee
08-14-2004, 08:06 PM
At least I have heard of Coleman before and it has the same options as the Harbour frieght model. The only big difference is the price. $24.99 is hard to beat.

kempie
08-14-2004, 09:29 PM
I went to my local used car buddy and talked to his detailer and used his rotary and got some tips from him. I then bought a cheap no-name rotary on ebay. The difference is that the ebay one will not hold up to the daily use a pro would put it to. Its just not as well made. Having said that the ebay rotary is just as good for me as the high priced one. I gonna use it two or three times a year. That isnt gonna wear it out. It does everything just as well as the high priced rotary.

Scottwax
08-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Another option is to check out pawn shops in your area. I had a customer who manages one and it is well stocked with all sorts of power tools. Most are pretty inexpensive and many are brand name products.

imported_memnuts
08-15-2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by kempie

I went to my local used car buddy and talked to his detailer and used his rotary and got some tips from him. I then bought a cheap no-name rotary on ebay. The difference is that the ebay one will not hold up to the daily use a pro would put it to. Its just not as well made. Having said that the ebay rotary is just as good for me as the high priced one. I gonna use it two or three times a year. That isnt gonna wear it out. It does everything just as well as the high priced rotary.

Excellent points!!

I got a CMA cheapo that works great for the 1 session a year that I need the strengh of a Rotary. It has all the needed features of the big boys except the name and durability needed by a pro shop.

:xyxthumbs

General Lee
08-15-2004, 06:48 AM
Yeah, I think I am going to go that route and get a cheapie to learn and play around with. :D