PDA

View Full Version : fabric softner

III
08-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Will fabric softner cause cotton towels to absorb less? Just was wondering if the same concept applies to cotton as it does to microfiber. I don`t use softner for my cotton detailing towels, but I was wondering if I should use softner for my regular household bath towels. They might be softer and smell better, but I don`t know if it`s worth the tradeoff if they absorb less.

Mr. Clean
08-13-2004, 07:59 PM
I don`t use fabric softener on our bath towels (nor do I use dryer sheets). I don`t use chlorine bleach on them either. I use vinegar as my softener. I do question if there is a reduction in absorbtion ability when softener is used. Interesting question, though. I wonder if anyone has done any quantifiable testing?

Accumulator
08-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Yeah, softener will have a negative effect on the towels` absorbency, but if you just use a *little* bit in the final rinse it won`t be a big deal. I do it all the time, but I use so little that I can still dry my glasses with them without any smearing/etc. from the softener. If you use too much you`ll get a pretty dramatic effect; the decrease in absorbency will be very noticeable.

nathanbjohnson
08-15-2004, 08:24 PM
The bottle of fabric softner I use actually says it will prevent the fabric from absorbing very well. I use a double dose when washing winter coats and snow and rain slide right off and the fabric is dry to the touch. Although, I have read that after multiple washes, the softner will build up and turn the fabric a slight gray. Every so many washes, don`t use any softner.

Don`t use any at all for anything that touchs the car`s paint or glass. Not only will it not dry well, it streaks.

medic159
08-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Fabric softener doesn`t really soften, it adds a coating of silicone so it "seems" softer to the touch. It will lower absorbency and is a totally useless product. Same applies to dryer sheets.

If you want your towels to feel softer without harmful chemicals use distilled white vinegar in the final rinse, it will help the fabric shed any excess detergent and your towels will feel softer and absorb better. Figure about a tablespoon per towel in the wash.