PDA

View Full Version : Black AA sheepskin mitts

Bill D
08-13-2004, 10:49 AM
For the first time I saw black Armor All sheepskin mitts in a small car parts store. A search of AA`s website doesn`t list them so I don`t know if they are discontinued, extremely new or what. I saw pics of black sheepskin online and it was interesting to see it in person. There were only 2 mitts left and they felt rather coarse which was disappointing. I can`t judge the quality of this mitt based only on 2 mitts alone. I often find myself picking the best feeling regular sheepskin mitts when there`s a nice supply and often there`s a few coarse ones to weed through. Does anyone have these AA mitts? Anything particularly good about them vs. regular sheespkin?

Gonzo
08-13-2004, 11:30 AM
I bought a couple from CMA 8-9 months ago. DON`T buy black as they leach color into the washbucket, leach color into the rinse bucket and stain your fingers............. :(

On the other hand, I think they were some of the softest I have yet seen :D

Mr. Chemist
08-13-2004, 12:44 PM
IMHO the lambs wool is really not all that soft...I really prefer the synthetic lamps wool...seems much more plush and able to cushion better.

Think of lambs wool cutting and finishing pads...I have usually found it necessary to use a foam pad afterwords...

Bill D
08-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Hmmm.. thanks for the heads up about the black dye issue on this mitts.

We recently had a concern here about the use of PI III MG causing swirls continuosly in ss piant. Turns out it was the mitt, a synthetic wool one, that was the actual cause of the swirls.

I`ve had good luck with both cotton chenille and natural sheepskin

raymond_ho2002
08-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Chemist

Think of lambs wool cutting and finishing pads...I have usually found it necessary to use a foam pad afterwords...

Interesting idea, but I don`t think that these two situations are comparable. The presented logic would argue that washing a car with a foam pad would be safer, which I think you and the rest of us would disagree with.

When you polish, you are grinding a wool pad against the paint while it`s semi-dry. When you wash, you gently glide over the paint while it is completely saturated with a soap solution.

To address the original topic, I don`t think that using a blackmitt would help much. You have to dry the car after a wash, so any loose wool would be swept off anyway. If one were to have black anything, it should be the drying and buffing towels. Personally, I dry with a waffleweave microfiber towel, with which I`ve never experienced linting problems.

-Raymond