PDA

View Full Version : Time to do the girlfriends car?!? Help needed

od4life
08-13-2004, 02:17 AM
Hey all,

I am going to tackle waxing and detailing my girlfriends car tomorrow. I was wondering what you guys recommend as far as products go. She has light water spots and some spider webbing on the car. I purchased some Meguiars Gold Class and some Nxt at K-Mart today and was looking for some tips on what might remove some of the spider-webbing and the water spots, and also make a wonderful shine on the car. Any help would be appreciated. The car is a metallic blue Ford Focus if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Oliver

od4life
08-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Are these good choices, or should I pick something else up???

:xyxthumbs

Accumulator
08-13-2004, 12:05 PM
od4life- Welcome to Autopia! Those should work OK but as you suspect, you`ll need something with abrasives to remove the marring.

Any of the usual polish recommendations should work, but I dunno what you`ll be able to find locally. You might check with a paint/body supply place (look in the Yellow Pages) and see what they have from Meg`s (pro line, maybe some #80 or at least some #82/#9), 3M (maybe PI-III Mg pn 05937), or Pro (I forget what their product #s are but any place that sells them can advise you). Most of those places will have *something* in stock that will work and most cities have at least one such shop.

thinksnow
08-13-2004, 12:10 PM
The "Learn!" button above will answer many in-depth questions. As for the immediate task at hand, you will not experience detailing nirvana without many hours spent practicing. As for the two products you mentioned, NXT and GC Wax are both last step products.

I`ll assume you are working by hand? If so, visit a Wal*Mart or auto parts store that has *either* the Meguiar`s or the Mother`s 3-step system. Proper washing is key, so grab a bottle of EO Wet or NXT shampoo and a sheepskin mitt. Dry properly to minimize surface marring.

Basic setup:

Detailing Clay (you`ll probably see Clay Magic or Mother`s--both are good)

Car Wash Shampoo (EO Wet or NXT)

Wash Mitt

EO A2Z + Wheel brush

Armor All or NXT Tech Protectant for the tires

Step One--Cleaner

Step Two--Polish

Step Three--Protection or Wax (here, you can substitute in GC or NXT Tech instead of the "Step Three" bottle).

Hope this helps.

imported_BretFraz
08-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Both products you have are very similar and neither will remove swirls and hard water spots. You`re probably going to need a moderately aggressive polish to tackle those first.

I`d suggest going to Detailing Depot in Costa Mesa (Newport and 21st) and getting a few products. They have a HUGE selection of detailing products and tools. Marco and the crew know they`re stuff so talk to them. Bring your gold card.

Also check out Superautobacs at Beach and the 22. They seem to have tons of products although I`ve never been there personally.

OC is car detailing heaven. Have fun shopping!!

od4life
08-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys, I am going to check out what Kragen has, and probably pick up some clay and the some Mothers or Meg. Thanks again.

Oliver :up