PDA

View Full Version : cutting pad on clear coat?

nathanbjohnson
08-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Hello everyone! I have been lurking around reading here for the past few months and spending lots o` $ on new car care products :wavey Thanks to everyone who posts because you have helped me so much.

I have what seems like a silly question about cutting pads. I just ordered a PC 7424 and pad kit from Autogeek. I had planned on using the orange cutting pad with DACP (followed by #9 w/ white pad and then NXT with grey finishing pad) on my black clear coated car which has a lot of swirls and mico-marring. I was just reading the Autopia e-book detailing guide and in chapter 12 right under the picture of the guy using the PC, it says not to use a cutting pad on a clear coat.

Is this a mistake or have I misunderstood what I have been reading on the forums?

Thanks for helping the newbie :)

-Nate

jfelbab
08-12-2004, 09:54 PM
This is correct. In my experience, using a cutting pad with a PC on a clear coat finish can scratch up the cc beyond repair without using a rotary.

Accumulator
08-13-2004, 10:44 AM
nathanbjohnson- Welcome to Autopia!

Having used the PC with a cutting pad (literally) innumerable times on all kinds of paint, I see no reason *NOT* to use it on clearcoats as long as you apply a little common sense. In other words, your original plan should be fine.

Yes, you will probably need a follow-up with a milder product and a polishing pad (like the polishing pad/#9), but you`ll be OK as long as you don`t work a thin-paint-area (top of a panel crease, edge of a door/doorhandle, etc.) for a long time. Many people give up *before* they remove all their marring; they find the PC/DACP/cutting combo *too mild*. Work the DACP a *LONG* time, it takes forever to break it abrasives down with the PC (as opposed to a rotary).

Yes, a knowledgeable Autopian (who shall remain unidentified ;) ) cut through the clear last year on a 12 year old Benz with DACP and a cutting pad. No, it usually doesn`t result in any problems at all.

jfelbab- Sorry to hear you`ve had problems with the PC/cutting pad combo. I`m not sure what caused the problems (maybe you just have very soft clear), but I bet it`s something you/we could sort out. Your experience is *very* different from the norm.

imported_fireberd350
08-13-2004, 10:49 AM
I don`t see any problem. I have used my PC w/ a cutting pad and SSR2.5 on speed 6 on numerous black finishes with no problems at all. Come to think of it I don`t even think I`ve ever had any marring from it at all.

tguil
08-13-2004, 10:57 AM
I`ve used both CMA`s yellow and orange cutting pads and even Meguiar`s burgandy pad with DACP on clear coat black with the pc set at 5.5. No problems.

Tom :cool:

Bill D
08-13-2004, 11:04 AM
same here, in fact, couldn`t really get much marring out

NavindraLR
08-13-2004, 11:04 AM
just did an 03 altima last night with orange cutting pad, with menzerna intensive polish, followed by menzerna fine polish, both on a pc set @ 5.5... came out great..

and it was black

nathanbjohnson
08-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all of the help.

I thought I was going crazy for a second. Not sure why the Autopia guide says not to use a cutting pad on clear coat. Maybe it meant wool?? (it does say pad though)

My new PC w/ pads should be delivered any moment now :bounce

I am trying to remove tons of swirls from my brand new 2004.5 black Volvo S40. The guys at the dealer used a chamois (scrubbing with it) on a dusty car. :shocked

I will try to remember to take before and after shots to share. Thanks again for the welcome and the help!

Take care,

Nate

Bill D
08-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi Nate,

I`m really looking forward to how that works out for you. I think I heard Volvo paint is sorta (physically) hard not unlike Audi paint.

Accumulator
08-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by nathanbjohnson

Thanks for all of the help.

I thought I was going crazy for a second. Not sure why the Autopia guide says not to use a cutting pad on clear coat. Maybe it meant wool?? (it does say pad though)...

IMO, it`s sorta a case of erring on the side of caution lest somebody messes things up and blames someone`s advice (i.e., the Guide) rather than accepting the blame for their own actions.

Try the #9/polishing pad combo first. You`ll probably find it`s too mild. Then just be careful with the DACP/cutting (but remember to work it until it breaks down). Yeah, that might sound a little self-contradictory :o but I believe you`ll see what I mean when you`re using it.

chevyguy28
08-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Any tips for 3M FI-II Machine Polish? What is its relative abrasive level next to DACP? Perhaps I will start out with a white pad, and then try the yellow if it doesn`t work out.

imported_perry
08-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by jfelbab

This is correct. In my experience, using a cutting pad with a PC on a clear coat finish can scratch up the cc beyond repair without using a rotary.

In all my reading about PC`s and pads, this is the first I`ve read about not using a cutting pad on CC. I`ve seen tons of pictures of people saying they used whomever`s cutting pad w/ a PC, then followed up with a polishing pad and a milder polish.

Then I was reading around MOL last night, and saw that Meguiar`s doesn`t recommend a cutting pad either.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2224

Glad I caught this because, knowing my luck, I`d end up screwing something up with a cutting pad. I guess I`ll use the milder pads till I get the hang of the PC, then perhaps try a more aggressive pad if needed. That`s probably what I would have done in the first place, but now I`ll make sure I really understand what I`m doing.