PDA

View Full Version : Help with cleaning engine bay..

! apmljv
08-12-2004, 04:20 PM
I`m new to cleaning engine bay and was hoping some experts here can give me some advice on where I should cover up. Below is a link to a picture of my engine bay, can someone pin point out where I should cover it up with foil?

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Jliao/L1000226.JPG

Much appreciated! thanks!

jfelbab
08-12-2004, 05:07 PM
I`m not familiar with your vehicle but first off I`d suggest you not use aluminum foil as some of the exposed electrical terminals may have 12 v. on them and aluminum is a electrical conductor. Plastic grocery bags work very well and avoid any electrical surprises.

Cover your alternator, and any electrical boxes. Stick a bag in your air intake if it is going to get wet. Apply your engine cleaner and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Rinse and inspect. If grime remains re-apply and re-rinse. You may need a brush for some stubborn dirt. When rinsing use a spray and try not to use too much water. Just enough to rinse the cleaner and grime away. After rinsing, dry thoroughly with old toweling. It helps if you have an air compressor to blow off any remaining water. Take care during the process to keep the cleaner and splatter off the paint. It helps the drying if your engine is warm but not hot before you begin.

Be aware that when you use the cleaner and rinse the grime off, this stuff will wind up on your driveway. You might want to choose where you do this cleaning to avoid stains.

If your engine runs rough something is still wet. Let it sit for a while longer with the hood open and preferably in the sun. Go back over suspect areas with your air compressor. Evaporation will resolve the issue.